Primary 1 Information

Welcome to Primary One

Our Teacher this year is Mrs Gray

*A note from Mrs Gray.

Suggested Phonics Task for Home Learning

Phonics/Tricky Words – Home Learning Ideas

Every day we will be asking you to spend around 15 minutes going over your phonics and tricky words. Every day pick a few of these activities to practise.

Phonics

You will need sound flashcards to complete some of these tasks. Flashcards can be made by cutting up plain paper and writing the sounds on individual bits of paper. So far in primary one we know the following sounds – s a t p I n ck e h r m d g o u l f b

• Flashcards – Show your child sound flashcards and ask them to tell you the sound and the action.
  • Flashcards – Lay out a selection of sound flashcards and ask your child to point to a certain sound.
  • Jolly Phonics Songs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s-1sxzjPX8
  • Say a sound and ask your child to write the sound.
  • Letter formation – please practise writing your letters. Use pencils, pens, crayons, paint. You could also go outside and have a go at writing your letters in the mud see if you can find a big stick to help you make your letters. Use stones or leaves to try and make your letters.
  • Go on a letter hunt around your house, can you find things in your house that start with the letter? Can you find any sounds written in your house?
  • Log into Reading Eggs for 15 minutes.

Tricky Words

You will need tricky word flashcards to complete some of these tasks. Flashcards can be made by cutting up plain paper and writing the tricky words on individual bits of paper. So far in primary one we know the following tricky words – I the he she me we be was to do are all

Remember that tricky words are tricky and the pupils can not sound them out, they simply  need to remember them. In class we like to make up some actions to go with each of the tricky words.

• Flashcards – Show your child a tricky word flashcards and ask them to tell you the tricky word.
  • Flashcards – Lay out a selection of tricky word flashcards and ask your child to point to a certain tricky word.
  • Tricky Words Song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMyssfAUx0
  • Bang – One of our favourite games to play in primary one is bang. Put all of your tricky words in a hat and pass the hat around. When you shout bang the person with the hat needs to take one of the tricky words out and read the word. If the get the word correct they keep the flashcard. The person with the most flashcards at the end wins. A great game to involve the whole family or you can easily play the game with just two.
  • Try to write some of the tricky words, start by giving your child a tricky word to copy and if they are able to copy the word ask them to try to write the word without copying.

Home Learning January 2021

Every morning tasks will be posted on our class blog for you to complete at home. These tasks will consist of one literacy, one numeracy and one other curricular area. The class blog can be found on our school website and I will post daily links to the class blog using the school Facebook and twitter accounts.

The tasks will be posted by 9am every morning with links to online resources and to SeeSaw. I will be introducing new sounds and numeracy concept’s along with revision of previous learning. Please post all completed work onto your SeeSaw account as this will allow me to see how you are getting on. You will be able to use SeeSaw to communicate with me and if I can help at all please get in touch. I will be phoning to check in, remember that this will be from an unknown number.

In primary one and primary two we follow a play based approach to learning and as such your child is used to being very active during the day and they will find it difficult to sit for prolonged periods of time. Tasks will be chunked down into smaller sections and we would suggest spreading the tasks throughout the day encouraging your child to play a game, read a book, draw a picture, build, help make lunch, tidy up or go outside in-between tasks.

I will be available throughout the day so please get in touch via SeeSaw and I will help in any way I can.

Remember to take lots of pictures and videos of your work and upload them onto SeeSaw every day so that I can see your hard work.

Mrs Gray

Bankfoot Road, Ferguslie Park, Paisley PA3 1LA Telephone: 0300 300 1364