Mr. Clark’s Blog – Monday 19th October 2015

It’s been quite a while since I’ve had the chance to blog about what is happening in our wonderful school.  It was lovely to see everyone back today after the October holiday and to find out what all of the children have been doing during the break.  It was great to have such lovely weather and I hope everyone had the chance to spend some time outdoors.

Miss Tiffney is still unwell and won’t be back at work this week.  The children in P4/5 are really missing her and send her get well wishes.  Mrs. Glen and Mrs. Scott will teach the class this week.

I visited the nursery class this morning and as soon I walked into the playroom, one of the children invited me to share an ‘under the sea’ counting book with her.  It was great to take 10 minutes out of my day to sit in the library corner with her and share the story together.  It was very kind of her to ask me to join in.

Primary 3 and 4/5 have been very busy practising for their upcoming ‘Egyptian’ assembly which takes place a week on Friday at 9.30am.  I have had a wee sneak preview of some of the singing and dancing – I am sure all of the parents and guests will really enjoy it.  The children will be writing invitations in their taught writing lesson this week which will be sent home this week.

After lunchtime, I worked with P1/2 and P2 as they took their learning outdoors.  They were using playground chalk to draw pictures on the ground of everything they know about ‘autumn’ ahead of their new block of interdisciplinary learning.  There was lots of pictures of trees losing their leaves and of Hallowe’en costumes.  Mr. O’Donnell was busy writing down lots of comments the children were making onto paper leaves.  I wonder if these will be part of the children’s learning journey display?

Today was the start of the new colour band system for school dinners, and I am delighted that it went so smoothly.  All of the children having a school dinner chose their meal in the morning and then came to the dinner hall wearing the correct colour band.  I was very pleased that the amount of leftover food was reduced and that the very last person to come to the counter still got exactly what he ordered.

Please help continue to make this go smoothly by talking to your child about what they will choose each day.  You can see the menu here or sign up for email alerts to have it sent directly to you every week.

Two important letters were sent home with the children today.  Pupils in P1-7 have received a letter about this term’s after-school clubs.  I am delighted to be able to offer P1-3 Fun Fitness, P1-3 Art and Crafts, P4-7 Football and P4-7 Cross Country.  Later on in the month, I hope to be able to offer a P2-4 dance club too.

The second letter was about the Nursery to P7 pantomime.  This year, the children will visit Hamilton Town House to see ‘Sleeping Beauty’.  Our wonderful Parent Council have contributed £500 towards the cost, which is simply amazing!  The school will provide a snack and a drink for the outing.  Please return the tear off slips and money for the pantomime as soon as possible to ensure your child’s place is secured.

I will be teaching Primary 5/6 all day tomorrow and am looking forward to teaching them about information report writing, budgeting money in maths and some french revision too.

Remember that you can find out more about the life of the school on our Twitter page too.  Why not follow us with a Twitter account of your own?