COURSE CONTACT: MRS CANNING
The BGE Hospitality: Practical Cookery course enhances learners’ personal effectiveness in cookery and provides a set of skills for those who wish to progress to further study in the hospitality context.
The course will develop a range of skills for learning AND skills for life. It aims to further develop learners’ personal effectiveness in terms of cookery and practical skill development. The course focuses on learning how to plan, prepare and cook food for a variety of hospitality and/or event contexts and includes hygiene training and certification from REHIS.
The course aims to enable learners to:
- Develop a range of cookery skills, food preparation techniques and cookery processes when following recipes.
- Select and use ingredients to produce and garnish or decorate dishes.
- Develop an understanding of the characteristics of ingredients
- Develop an understanding of issues surrounding food sustainability.
- Develop an understanding of current dietary advice relating to the use of ingredients.
- Plan, research, produce and present food items and meals appropriately.
- Work safely and hygienically.
- Cookery Skills, Techniques and Processes
- Understanding and Using Ingredients
- Organisational Skills for Cooking
- Practical cookery classes
- Investigative/research-based learning
Practical Assignments – to include developing recipes and planning menus and events