Course Contact: Mrs Canning
The BGE Health and Food Technology course addresses contemporary issues affecting food and nutrition, including ethical and moral considerations, sustainability of sources, food production and development, and their effects on consumer choices. Learners analyse the relationships between health, food and nutrition, and plan, make and evaluate food products to a range of dietary and lifestyle needs.
The courses will focus on health and the nutritional properties of food as well as safe, hygienic and informed practices in food preparation. Learners will also complete food hygiene training and certification from REHIS. It develops candidates’ understanding of the importance of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle. It also allows candidates to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills to become informed food consumers. Learners can expect an exciting mixture of practical and theoretical learning and assessment activities.
- The course aims to enable learners to:
- Know and understand of the relationships between health, food and nutrition.
- Know and understand of the functional properties of food.
- Make informed food and consumer choices.
- Apply their skills to a range of practical contexts.
- Organise a range of technological skills to develop and make food products.
- Apply safe and hygienic practices in practical food preparation.
- Food Hygiene
- Food for Health
- Food Product Development
- Classroom Assessments
- Written Assignments and/or Folio Development
- Practical Assignments – to include developing new food products