COURSE CONTACT: MRS CANNING
The BGE Fashion and Textile course develops the practical skills, construction techniques and knowledge and understanding which support fashion/textile-related activities. The knowledge, understanding and skills that learners acquire by successfully completing the course, will be invaluable for life-long learning and the world of work.
This course places emphasis on the development of practical skills and textile construction techniques to make straightforward fashion/textile items, to an appropriate standard of quality. The course will also help learners develop knowledge of textile properties, characteristics and technologies, item development, fashion/textile trends and factors that affect fashion choice. Likewise, it will help learners to develop important skills, attitudes and attributes related to fashion and textiles, that are transferable to other contexts, including problem-solving skills and communication skills.
The course aims to enable learners to:
- Undertake straightforward/detailed textile construction techniques.
- Plan and make straightforward/detailed fashion/textile items.
- Demonstrate knowledge of textile properties and characteristics.
- Develop and understanding of factors which influence fashion/textile choices and trends.
- Select, set up, adjust and use relevant tools and equipment safely.
- Showcase research and presentation skills.
- Textile Technologies
- Textile Item Development
- Fashion and Textile Choices
- Practical sewing/textile classes
- Investigative/research-based learning
Practical Assignments – to include developing new textile items.