Raising Achievement

Leadership Academy
A large group of S6 pupils at Airdrie Academy are working hard as part of the school’s ‘Leadership Academy’. As part of this group they act as positive role models to younger pupils and take on many responsibilities across the school. Pupils are contributing in areas such as events management, charities, welcoming guides, website, yearbook, photography, assemblies and primary transition. In all of these roles pupils are developing valuable skills and learning the importance of team work and cooperation.

leadership

S6 Celebrating Success Assembly

Airdrie Academy marked the last day of school for S6 pupils by providing a farewell lunch as well as staging various activities. The school also hosted a “Celebrating Success” assembly. This took place on Monday 28th April where pupils were recognised for all of their wider achievements across the school. The pupils were presented with certificates and entertainment was provided by fellow pupils.
Success01 Success02
The aim of the assembly is to recognise pupils who have contributed to the school and demonstrated an eagerness to help others. Categories recognised were Saltire Awards, Peer Supporters, Paired Readers, Eco Group, Duke of Edinburgh Award, Summer School, School Show, Carol Concert, Charity, Attendance, House Officials, Leadership, Enterprise, Raising Achievement Group, Yearbook and Sporting achievements.

The pupils had a great send off and the school wishes them every success for the future.

Easter School and Exams

The exams are now well under way and our pupils seem to be coping well with the pressure. Both staff and pupils have worked extremely hard in school throughout the year. Many pupils have attended supported study sessions which have been extremely beneficial.

Based on pupil feedback, the recent Easter School was a huge success. The aim was to provide pupils with the best possible preparation for the SQA exams. It is the first time the Academy has held the Easter event in- house and over 100 pupils attended each day. By the end of the week the pupils from S4/5/6 felt more confident and had a more positive mind set leading up to their exams.
EasterSchool01 EasterSchool02 EasterSchool03

Pupil comments:
“I thought Easter School was very beneficial and it has been very helpful. It gave me the opportunity to study in an organised fashion.”
“It was a relaxed environment which allowed me to study.”
“Teachers targeted parts of the courses that were most difficult. This was beneficial.”
“Smaller classes allowed for more one to one with teachers.”
“The library provided a peaceful place to study without distractions.”
“It was very productive and I was able to concentrate and get on with my work. I liked the free study pack.”
“I liked the classes. I think they have been a great help and I have learned a lot. The teachers were also very helpful and as the classes were smaller, they could listen to everyone.”
“It has helped me to get into the mind set of studying throughout the holidays. It has also helped me realise what I need to work harder on etc.”
“I thought it was very helpful when it came to studying as I wouldn’t have studied as much at home.”

Airdrie Academy