About Our School
Founded in 1849, Airdrie Academy exists today in its third incarnation. The Academy moved to its current site on South Commonhead Avenue in 1941. When it was built in the midst of World War II, the new building cost a little over £100,000 at the time. It was first located on Cairnhill Road in a building that housed Alexandra Primary School. The original building has since been demolished to make way for housing.
The school has a current roll of approximately 1,050 pupils. As part of Education 2010, a new building was opened in October 2006 to replace the previous one, parts of which had been in use for almost 70 years.
The current head teacher is Mr Martin Anderson, whos is supported by a senior management team composed of: Mrs Dewar, Ms Lilly, Mr Spencer, MrNolan and Mrs O’Neill.