St Bernadette's

Monday 3rd June

We have had lots to celebrate recently in St Bernadette’s.  Congratulations once again to everyone who has worked so hard over the last year leading us to a very positive HMI report.  I am very proud of everyone associated with the school.

“Significant progress has been made since the original inspection. Through strong leadership and commitment from all staff, the quality of children’s learning experiences has been transformed.”

“Across the school, children now learn and achieve very well.” HMI 28.5.2013

As a school we are now very confident that the school will continue to develop and improve over the coming years and we thank everyone for their continued support.

Recently all our children were involved in a sponsored walk to Strathclyde Park and Tinto Hill for school funds.  I was absolutely delighted at the response which raised over £1700 – fantastic!!  However, as well as being delighted at the money raised I was so proud of our P4-7 children who overcame the wind, snow and hail during the Tinto climb to the summit.  Every single child made it to the top despite it being a very challenging climb.  Our group attracted lots of positive and complimentary comments from the other high schools who were also climbing on the day.

On Saturday 1st June I was proud to take a group our athletes to the Shotts Highland Games.  They competed very well and we had some great individual performances as well as team performances.  Congratulations to Cole Esson for a first place in the Shot Putt, Catlin Thompson for first place in the 400m, Kyle Loughlin 2nd place in the 400m, the relay team who achieved 2nd place and Shannon Waldron who achieved a third place in the Shot Putt.  Everyone involved gave a great effort leading to a 2nd place overall and cheque for £100 for the school.  Well done!

Our First Communicants met again on Sunday for the Thanksgiving Mass.  It was a beautiful service once again and I would like to acknowledge all the staff who helped the children to prepare so well for the Mass.

On Sunday  I was also delighted to see Erin McLean P5 perform with the North Lanarkshire Primary Choir at the Clyde Auditorium in Glasgow.  The children were performing at the Caritas Awards.  They sang beautifully for an audience of over 3000 people from all over Scotland.  A great achievement – well done Erin!