19 thoughts on “Question of the Week – Making the Difference”

1. The story is trying to tell you that little things can make a difference.
    I can make a difference by not throwing things into the sea that are dangerous to animals and by looking after the enviroment by recycling and making sure I put everything into the bin.
    If everyone thought like the man lots of animals would die and the environment wouldn’t be green.

2. 1. The story is telling you that you dont have to make a big difference to something or everything. If you make a little difference, you’ll feel good about yourself and little things CAN make a big difference.

2. I could make a difference by picking up rubbish in the playground so that it doesn’t drift away into the sea because animals could choke or get trapped.

3. If everyone thought like the man, there wouldn’t be as much animals as we have and the environment wouldn’t be clean.

1. Great post Emily! Its very encouraging when you say that you’ll feel good about yourself if you try to make a difference. It makes me feel like I could make a difference. Why wouldn’t there be much animals and why would the enviroment not be clean?

1. Thanks Eve! The animals might die because of the litter that people throw on the ground. If we don’t pick it up, it might choke or trap animals.

The environment won’t be clean because if everyone thought like the man, everything would be dull because of litter and liquid out of cans.

3. I think the point the story is trying to make is that you don’t have to make a massive difference to solve problems in the world, making small differences can lead to a big difference if everyone joins in. Even the things like switching the lights off when your not using a room can make a difference. If everyone did that, we might lower the chances of global warming. The story also makes me think about when my freinds and I held a car-boot-sale for juvenile diabetes.

Somthing I could do (and will do) is to put rubbish in the bin to help my community be environmentally friendly. I could also switch lights off and raise awareness of these things too because together we are better. As I said if everyone joins in and has a positive attitude we could solve some problems.

If everyone thought like the man, nobody would bother to do even simple things like putting litter in the bin. The world would be full of rubbish. Everyone would give up easily because they can’t be bothered and the environment wouldn’t be as positive and kind.

It dosn’t matter who you are, EVERYONE can make a difference.

4. What the story means to me is that small things can make a difference, not just with the starfish, but with everything we do, like helping the environment with recycling, being respectful to others, animals and myself.

If I respect others then other people will do the same and they will pass it on. The man in the story was not thinking about the impact of everyone doing their part and if we all do our part the world will be a better place.

5. Making a small change can make a difference to something and if more people helped it would change lots of things. I can make a difference by helping out as much as I can, in school and out. I want to help improve our environment, we all need to help look after where we live.

6. I think the story is trying to say that it’s better to make a small difference than not make a difference at all. Every little thing helps even things like turning the lights off and using less water.

I could make a difference by trying my hardest and doing my best at our athletics finals as that would help the athletics team become closer to wining and it would add to Gourock Primary’s great reputation if we had won, but even if we do not win it’s all about the taking part that counts.

If everyone thought like the man, life wouldn’t be full of good ideas because no one would think anyone was making a difference so no one would get support with tasks. For instance, people would have thought of ideas to raise money but because no one thought it was a good idea everybody would have shut it down. Also I have done a carboot sale before with Eve, Grace, Elizabeth and Emily to raise money for diabetes. I hope we made a difference.

7. 1.This story is trying to say that if you start small you could make a huge difference but if you start big you won’t achieve anything. The stories point is if you don’t make a difference helping something or someone is pointless.

2. I can make a difference by being eco and every time I see litter I would pick it up and make sure that it fly away and into the sea and kill the sea creatures.

3. Life would be different if everyone had the attitude of the man no one would help the environment.

8. The story is telling us that no matter how small of a difference you make it still makes a difference
    I can make a diffrence by not dropping litter
    The world would be covered in litter and know one would try to make a difference

9. This story makes me think about people who help and people who don’t. The story tries to show that a small difference is better than no difference.

I make a difference to our family by helping around the house. I get myself up in the morning by setting my alarm clock, I get myself ready and make my own breakfast. I also help my Mum by dusting and hovering.

Nothing would be achieved and everyone would only think about themselves.

10. I think the moral of the story is that even when something you do may seem insignificant it can still have an effect. Even although the man laughed the boy was not discouraged as he was happy to make a difference, no matter how small.

At school we could all make a difference by encouraging each other, as sometimes people might not be confident in what they are doing and a compliment could make a difference.

Recently when taking part in the festival I always wished the other competitors good luck and congratulated them after their performance as I know this makes me feel better.

If everyone though like the man in the story then little changes would never happen and it is the little changes that turn into big things.

A quote on our class wall says ” nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm”. I think this ties in with the moral of this story.

1. Libby, what a wonderful post. You have thought hard about the true meaning of the story. It really isn’t just aiming to make you think about starfish or the environment. The true moral of the story, I think, is as you say ‘we can all make a difference no matter how small’ Just think how much could be achieved if we all had this attitude!
      I certainly think our class has a positive attitude like this and looks towards making a difference. Something as simple as your suggestion to take the time to compliment someone could really make a huge difference to their day (with hardly any effort from the giver)
      Well done for relating it back to our motivating classroom quotes!

11. 1. This makes me think about that the boy what’s to make a difference , but it dosent matter how big or small it is you are still making a difference .

2. I can make a difference because when I was at Glasgow every charity I saw I would give them some money .

3. If everybody thought like the man it would be horrible to live and everybody would move because it might be very very smelly .

12. 1 If no one did anything nothing would change
    2 I could make a difference by helping around the house, especially making sure that my room is tidy!
    3 If everyone had the same attitude as the man, life would be difficult and the environment would not get better for animals and people.

13. 1.The point that the story is trying to make is that it is better to make a small difference than no difference at all.

2. I can make a difference by not playing my iPad so much and spending a little more time with my family and doing things more sociable such as playing cards, board games, drawing pictures and playing with my wee sisters. Making small changes could make me and my family be more happy.

3. If everyone thought like the man the world would be different because no one would bother about helping people in small ways or doing small things for the environment. It’s better if everyone does small things that contribute to making family, school, our community and the planet a better place. We all need to be responsible for making a difference even in a small way, like one starfish in the story.

14. The point the story is trying to make is if you make one small effort it can lead to a huge difference.
    One thing I am going to do to make a difference is to do more chores this will make a difference to my mum and dad as they will have more time with my self and my sister catherine .
    If every one though like the man nobody would make a effort.