How fair is Fairtrade?

What is Fairtrade?

Fairtrade is a simple yet incredibly important idea – it’s all about giving the people who produce the things you buy a fair price for their work.

This may seem obvious, but lots of people in poorer countries have to sell their goods at prices so low that they can’t make a decent living.

Often, only a tiny bit of the money you pay for something goes to the person who actually made it.  This happens a lot when we import things from poorer countries.

Watch this video find out about the great work done by Fairtrade over the past 20 years.

Share your learning from class discussions and research. How have your views changed? Have you encouraged others to take a Fairtrade step?

19 thoughts on “How fair is Fairtrade?”

1. Fairtrade is great, it helps farmers and producers get a better shelter and home and a fair price. We have helped quite a lot of people go to school and have a better life by them getting food for themselves and I think that means Fairtrade is such a good company.

2. In my oppinion Fairtrade is very fair for farmers in developing countries. It provides a Fairtrade primium of about 20p so that farmers and workers can improve their homes, healthcare and livelihoods.
    Now that I know how Fairtrade works and how it benifits farmers, it has really inflouenced me to buy more Fairtrade products. I have also talked aout it to family members and know that they have a better understanding, they look out for these marked products in the shops.
    Although, Fairtrade only works if WE buy the products. YOU have the power, if you don’t choose Fairtrade, farmers won’t get the fair price the need!
    Get involved! Support Fairtrade!

3. Before I learned about Fairtrade in class, I thought you were just paying a little extra money because the products tasted twice as good. Although they DO taste twice as good, it also benefits farmers and workers in developing countries. That extra money you pay provides a Fairtrade premium of 20p so that farmers and workers can improve on their livelihood, homes and healthcare.

Before I knew how beneficial Fairtrade was, my family used to buy Tesco bananas. Now we have switched to Fairtrade bananas which are not only beneficial, but taste absolutely divine!

Do YOU want to make a difference? Switch to Fairtrade and help make the world a better place!

4. I think Fairtrade is a good system as people get paid fairly for their work. The fair pay allows them to live a better life, get an education, keep a home and feed their family.

5. I have really enjoyed learning about Fairtrade in class, I have definitely learned a lot. I liked learning to play the banana split game, it was so much fun. Before I knew about Fairtrade I thought that the Fairtrade mark on the packaging just meant that one company made all the products.

6. I think fair trade is very fair as it helps farmers get a fair price for their crops or materials they sell. The fair trade premium is also very helpful as it adds an extra 10 or 20p on to the farmers original price to help their village install water pumps or get materials for building.

7. Fairtrade is an organisation that farmers are guaranteed a fair price for their products. Farmers need this money to pay for their Home, Healthcare and their child’s education etc. Some times Fairtrade products might be a little more money but that just doesn’t go to the farmer, it goes to the whole community to sort out health issues, or to install a water pump. Just a little amount more can make a big difference to somebody’s life!

20 years ago the Fairtrade company only had 4 products on sale but now they sell over 4000 products around the world and that has made a big improvement to the farmer’s lives.

8. On a scale of 1 to 10 Fairtrade is about a 9. It’s a very supportive campaign that helps farmers in third world countries get a better work income. Eventhough the Fairtrade items are a little more expensive it’s all for a good cause. All your money helps pay for food, houses, medical care and education for their familys.

I learned all these valueble facts in school and I hope to continue to learn more. Another point is not all the money goes to the farmer’s but to their village to build schools and comunale water pumps.

GET THE FAIRTRADE HABBIT TODAY!

9. After learning about fairtrade I have developed my knowledge on what the farmers living conditions are and how much they get paid for every product they sell. I now have a good understanding of the fairtrade movement and the important work they do to support farmers, workers and communities in developing countries.

10. I think Fairtrade is fair, as the farmers receive a fair price for the products they grow. By having a fair price, that little bit extra can help them grow their crops and send their children to school, afford better healthcare, have a better house or feed their families. The Fairtrade organisation helps farmers all over the world living in poverty, such as India (for cotton), West and South Africa (for bananas) and South America (for coco beans).

So drop by today and pick up Fairtrade!

11. I really like learning about fairtrade in class. I have learned a lot also I loved playing the orange game it helps us think how difficult their lives are.

I hope you want to make a difference? Now i look to buy fairtrade products !!!!!

12. Fairtrade is one of fairest things in the world that people would die without it yes you pay more but it helps people in developing countries live better and that is why fairtrade is there and fair all you have to do to help is look for fairtrade logos on products and buy them.

13. I love fairtrade and the more we buy fairtrade products we will help farmers, and all you want to do is help poorer farmers to have a better shelter, and all you need to do is buy fairtrade products remember there is children you want to help to have a better education remember go, FAIRTRADE!!!!.

14. Fairtrade is important role model to other company’s and to producers .They technically save peoples lives by giving them a fair price for all of their products such as bananas, oranges cocoa beans , cotton, coffee , flowers, and more so as you should know they are very helpful towards producers and the public all around the world .

15. Fairtrade is amazing not only are its products fantastic but its also giving farmers in third world counties are fair pay. there is an amazing range of fairtrade products like chocolate, flowers ,cotton, polo-shirts, coffee and wedding rings. go fairtrade today and help farmers have a better life.

16. I think Fairtrade is a great system because it has so many benefits such as the Fairtrade premium (which gives farmers a guaranteed price for there products).
    Secondly despite slightly higher prices Fairtrade sell great products which includes clothing, bananas, coffee, chocolate and gold. Finally the best thing about Fairtrade is that you know the people making the product are getting a fair price.
    Come on people support Fairtrade!