New Year, New You?

Happy New Year!

For lots of people, a New Year means a fresh start.

untitled

What does New Years mean to you? Is it just another day?

Does the thought of the New Year make you feel hopeful, excited and happy? Are you excited to make your New Year’s resolutions and go after your dreams?

ab146d64cf0fcd82e65693ef07d4f840

Why do people make resolutions? Do you think many keep them? Are they achievable?

Time to reflect and set new goals

1. Personal goal: think of a resolution that will benefit you.
  2. Consideration of others: Think of something you could do which would benefit family members or friends.
  3. The bigger picture: Some resolutions are about considering your effect on a wider scale. How might you try to make a difference to your school/your community/a neighbour?

Try to give reasons for all of your choices.

41 thoughts on “New Year, New You?”

1. 1. A resolution that will benefit my myself is to be kinder to my little sister because i sometimes shout at her.
    2.Towards my family and friends i could not go on my Ipad as much and spend more time with them.
    3. I can be more respectful to the comunity by being more eco friendly beacuse i don’t always respect the environment.
    I re-wrote my reply because i forgot some basic grammer.

1. I really like your new years resolutions Jenna. I certainly need to be a bit kinder to my brother too!

What sort of things might you do that are more eco friendly to help your community?

2. I agree Jenna, I get really frustrated with my brother when he doesn’t understand things but it’s only because he is younger

3. Great comment Jenna!

Although I don’t have any siblings, I can imagine why you would get annoyed at younger brothers or sisters!

I also spend too much time on my phone! Family time is important!

2. 1. For 2016 it is my resolution to become more organised and use my dairy and calendar regularly to plan my school work, music practice and ensure everything is up to date. This should also give me more time to relax and enjoy my free time.

By being more organised I can keep my newly decorated bedroom nice and tidy – this would definitely please my Mum.

2. I have been trying to help around the house more recently and even had a shot of ironing my own clothes at the weekend.

I really don’t like when people are unkind to others and I hope this year I can help by encouraging people to include everyone and show kindness to all our peers.

3. In school I can perhaps think of different ways to make sure everybody can work together even when it is difficult. Sometimes we just need reminded that some people could be having a bad day and need support rather than turning against them. An act of kindness can go a long way!

1. I love your third resolution the most Libby! It made me feel warm and fuzzy! I look forward to seeing your random acts of kindness! I’m sure you’ll find this easy as you’re such a thoughtful girl already!

3. One of my resolutions for 2016 to help my community is to always put my litter in the bin and to make sure that i always recycle when I can. This will keep my neighbourhood clean and will mean that old things can be made into new things which reduces wasted energy.

For me and my family I will learn healthy recipes to cook. This will make me and my family healthier and I will also be able to help my mum in the kitchen.

1. They sound really helpful for example when you mentioned cooking healthy recipes, I wish I could cook but I’d probably mess up everyone’s food and wouldn’t be trusted to cook

2. I also have an interest in cooking and baking! Especially when you know you’re doing something that will make your family healthier!

3. Andrew, if you have any healthy recipes that taste great – please send them my way! I’m on a health kick!

Good luck with your new cooking hobby! #Masterchef2016!

4. I love New Year because I get to stay up and celebrate a new beginning with the people I love. In school we usually set goals, because we set them it gives me more motivation to complete them if they were my goals anyway.

1.I have a lot of targets for the year ahead but I have a story about my main goal, during my gymnastics class I was given a letter to say I had the chance to audition for a competitive gymnastics team, I hope to be successful and be chosen for the team.

2. One thing I could do that would benefit my family is doing more chores around the house like tidying my room and doing the dishes. I know myself I have a messy room but only because I share it with my 6year old brother. My dad keeps saying as long as you keep doing the little things that help out around the house your fine but I’m getting older and I know it will benefit my family if I do help out more.

3.One thing I could do is be more polite to other staff in school for example when I walk by them say good morning/afternoon and just in general hold doors and give other nice gestures.

1. What a wonderful post which clearly shows your personality, Orla! I hope you are successful in your gymnastics audition! You have such a talent!

Your resolutions are very kind and look to give you ways to help and support others – as you always do! Keep being you!

5. New Year resolutions are a great way to help improve or benefit your life and wellbeing.

I have quite a few after school clubs and commitments. One of these is my piano and this involves a lot of practicing. Sometimes I miss out on this even though it is important. A resolution that would benefit me is to practice my piano every day for at least 10 minutes.

My target that considers my family is to clean the table after having a meal. This will help my parents because they won’t have to clean up after dinner, making it a lot easier for them to get other jobs done.

Finally, my resolution to try and help make a difference on the wider scale. This year I’m going to try to switch off the lights around the house when I’m not using the room because keeping lights on is wasting energy. Doing this is my small part to making the world more eco-friendly!

1. Miss McCready will be delighted that you are continuing to fly the Eco flag in your personal life too!

I’m sure with your dedication and commitment that you will find ways to fit in time for all your hobbies and interests and make a great success of them too!

6. I love making new years resolutions because it is a chance to complete or finish something you want to do also its a fresh start .

I think a resolutions that will benefit me is to read more and practise spelling each week .If i learn a word one week three weeks from then I will not be able to spell it .

A resolution that would help my family will be to tidy my room .I should be more caring to my my room with putting my clothes in the washing bin ,put things away when i use them.

Something that could help the environment would be when some one drops litter .I will ask them to pick it up and put in the bin in a nice way .If they don’t i will instead including my own

7. My first resolution is to go out with my friends more to increase my independence for high school

Second is to socialise more with my family like play a board game, play cards ect

Lastly is to do 1 or 2 random acts of kindness each month

1. Did I not tell you that none of you are going to high school?! 🙂

Great resolutions, Matthew! Let me know if you come up with some great random acts of kindness! I’d love to know what you get up to!

8. New Year’s Eve is one of my favourite times of the year as you get to spend time with family and stay up for the bells! New Year’s resolutions are a great way to set a target or try something new.

1. My New Year’s resolution for 2016 is to exercise more. In my spare time, I usually find myself on my laptop, on my phone, or drawing. Don’t get me wrong, I do want to keep drawing, but as an additional hobby, I’d like to do something that involves physical activity. The way I’d like to exercise is to play Wii Fit, try some yoga moves, accomplish a new gymnastics skill, and make up random dance routines. ( Now, if you come to my house to visit, I’ll be in my sports outfit! )

2. One thing I could do that would benefit my family is to cook dinner on Sunday nights. I have a passion for cooking and baking and willing to take it further. I might have to go through a few burns and cuts, but it’s worth it!

3. To help the community and environment, whenever I see litter on the floor, at school, at the beach, on holiday, I’ll pick it up. This reduces the chance of animals getting hurt and pollution.

1. Come and join us at athletics, Emily! Or give Cross Country a try! 🙂 that would be a great addition to your skiing!

As always, any wonderful cooking can be sent to me for a taste test!

9. I love celebrating New Year with friends and family and first footing.

My New Years resolution is to stay more organised. First I really need to keep my room nice and tidy, not like last year! I think this will please my mum as she is always having to pick up things when she walks in. Also this will help when I go into high school with getting ready for the day and my homework.

I think I really need to work on being patient with others e.g.; with my brother Thomas, friends and also family members. In addition, I know I am pretty good at sitting down and doing my homework but taking time to do a little bit than what is needed will also help me when I go up to high school.

Every little helps and to help the environment I am going to turn off lights and plugs when not needed.

I am really going to try this year to keep these resolutions!

1. Good luck with your organisation Elizabeth! It will definitely make you feel calmer and more in control of everything has a place! Using your homework diary to keep track of important dates/events will aid this too!

10. 1. Here is my resolution would be to not annoy my brother anymore. But I find it really hard because he starts annoying me and I try to end it but it keeps going in a big round circle.

2. I think I should listen to my friends and family a lot more than usual because I get told off a lot. So I think that I should work on that a whole lot more.

3. I think I should work on my athletics so that when I go into high school I will become better than I am right now. My dream is also to be an athlete and vet.

I hope I achieve these goals this year because I would like to do these things a lot.

1. You are really developing your athletics skills every week Ruairidh! Why don’t you think about joining one of the local community clubs too if you are loving it so much! Come and see me and I will give you more details!

11. 1. The resolution that will benefit me is to stop biting/picking my nails because I often have sore fingers as I have picked just a little to far down.

2. The resolution that will benefit my family is to control my anger because if somebody annoys enough I will have a burst of anger and shout at them, I always regret this afterwards.

3. The resolution that will benefit my school is to help solve arguments in the playground and encourage people to be kinder to others.

1. Using all you know about restorative conversations and being a good peer mediator will definitely benefit you for resolution 3, Molly! 🙂

12. For my new year resolution this year 2016!!!! Is to not shout and be a lot kinder to my sister. Also help out around the house.

To benefit my family I would try to keep my room tidy but this might be a bit difficult because I have to share a room with my little sister. Also to help out is to set the table and tidy it up to.

To help me and my teacher I would keep!!!! trying to do my time tables and to make my work easy more for me. To held my
    environment I would not drop litter to always put it in a bin.

1. My 2016 new year resolution is to try harder at my school work and to always be nice to my friends and family. This with be nice for them all as I will be respecting them and I am showing that I love them.

The resolution that will benefit my teacher, is to always practice keep going if I get something wrong. This will show my teacher that will show my teacher that I won’t give up and that I am willing to try.

The resolutions that will benefit my community is, to always put litter in the bin and to help people in the playground solve their argument and to help people to be nicer to one another!
      And also you will make more friends if you respect them and be nice to them!

13. To me, New Year is just the earth completing another lap around the sun. I like to stay up for the bells at New Year and watching the fireworks on TV.

My new Years resolution is to learn how to cook because it will benefit me if my mum needs some help in the kitchen or if she is unwell and I need to do the cooking.

I will try to please my mum by tiding up my room because at the moment I’m not very organised.

I get around £100 every birthday and Christmas and I never know what to do with it so I would like to donate some of my birthday and Christmas money to charity so the less fortunate can have a chance.

1. What a lovely gesture! I think that’s very kind of you to be so generous as to give some of your birthday and Christmas money to charity. This is one of the reasons why I just love my class! So thoughtful!

2. I also like your point about the New Year just being another day! I think you shouldn’t wait for the New Year to make positive changes to your life! If something needs fixing or improvement – hop to it! 🙂

14. Personal goals – to focus better in school. Increase the amount that I walk the dogs each week, this will help my dad and the dogs get fitter.

Consideration of others – help mum and dad around the house, clean the fish tanks, and tidy my room.

Bigger Picture – turn off lights, Don’t drop litter and make sure it goes in the bin. make sure we recycle.

15. I love new year because you get to stay up late and celebrate another year with your family members and watch another year go past .

1. My New Years resolution is to read more books because it will help me understand bigger words.

2. My next New Years resolution is to stop fighting with my sister because my mum keeps shouting at both of us and I always get the blame!!

3. My neighbour margreat is the best neighbour ever,she always brings me and my sister things in when she goes to Glasgow. I think I should help her by asking,if she would like me to do anything for her.

16. 1. My New Years resolution is to spend a little less time playing x-box games. This would give me more time to work harder on my homework and to practice my chanter.

2. Unlike Libby, Orla, Eve and Jenna I don’t have any little brothers or sisters, but this year I will spend more time looking after our dog Scruffy. I really enjoy taking him for long walks with my family.

3. As most of our neighbours are quite old people I would like to help them with things like tidying their gardens and cutting their grass.

17. My Favourite part of The New Year is spending time with family and looking forward to a new year.

My New years resolution is to help around the house more, even simple things like washing the dishes and cutting the grass would make a huge difference to my mum.

Despite loving her to the moon and back I always end up having a go at my little sister, my New Years resolution is to stop arguing with her over stupid things like leaving her empty dishes on the dinner table.

My resolution to help my community is to always put my rubbish in the correct bin, I can’t think how many times I have orange peels in the black bin and cardboard in the black bin, the list goes on and on 🙂 .

18. 1. My personal goal is to reduce the time I spend on my x-box and play with my friends and socialise more with them. A good start would be to turn my phone on more often! LOL 🙂

2. It would benefit my mum and dad if I stopped fighting with my brother and help round the house more. e.g. I always forget to make my bed in the morning.

3 What would benefit my community is if I see any litter lying around I will pick it up and put it in the nearest bin. I hate litter bugs its not a hard thing to do to put something in the bin!

3.

19. 1. My new year resolution is to stand up to bullies who bully me and other people because it can very upsetting to be bullied as I know from experience.

2. To help my family I would like to start helping my mum and dad unpack our weekly shopping on Friday .

3. This year I’m going to try to help keep my local community clean by picking up letter and recycling .

These are the goals I have set for my self this year.

20. I really enjoy new years resolutions, because it helps me to get organised for the rest of the year.

1) My new years resolution is to tidy up my room a lot more and even keep it tidy. I would also like to help my mum round the house because I’m normally on my phone or my laptop.

2) I would like to make my Granda a cup of tea when he comes in from work because he will probably come in all cold and wet. I would also like to help my Mum, Gran and Dad in with the shopping to save them coming up and down with the shopping in our close.

3)I would like to help others in the school specially the lower classes as I have a buddy of my own. I would also like to help the teachers like opening the doors for them, carry things for them and handing out things for them.

21. I really enjoyed thinking about what my new year’s resolutions should be, and as other people have said “a new year is a new start”. Here’s to a great 2016 for everyone in our class.

1: By the end of this year I want to have got up to top silver in swimming and to achieve my goal of swimming in the West District competitions. To do that I need to keep up the hard work at training every day.

2: Recently as a family we have been playing board games. I would like to do this more often as it really helps us to become even closer as a family.

3: As this is the last year I will be a buddy to Lily (P1) I want to spend even more time with her and be a real encouragement to her in and out of school.