Silent Movies and the Importance of Music Choice

For one of the TDTs for the Expressive Arts Modules, we were able to look at how emotions can be expressed through the arts as well as words. We were provided with the brief of created a short silent movie with a horror or thriller theme. We had to come up with a short story line, characters and their roles, record the film and then choose a piece of music to add to the film to enhance the feelings the film is portraying.

This TDT helped me to realise that music education is not just learning to play an instrument – red music, play the instrument, keep a beat, musical terms etc – but also using music in different situations and understand and expressing emotions through music. This TDT also provided a great opportunity for us all to develop our creativity in a way that we have never done before.

Click here to watch the video

2 thoughts on “Silent Movies and the Importance of Music Choice

1. Hi Danielle,
    I like this – I also think it is a great way of studying film, as a genre within language/literacy. Have you thought about adapting this or using it on next placement? It seems you worked well together too.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Richard

Reply
    1. Post author

Hi Richard,

This is definitely something that will be going in the lesson idea bank. My next placement is early years so I’ve been trying to think about how it could be adapted but I think it is more for the older children. I think I would be more likely to do a task where we add sound effects to stories with the younger children. This is one we did last year when looking at how sound effects are added to movies.

Reply