UoDEdushare

The central sharing hub for #UoDedu teacher education students at the University of Dundee

November 15, 2019
by Claire Smith
Comments Off on Little, you are ever so greater than big!

Little, you are ever so greater than big!

Warning… this is rather reflective and pretty (kind of) personal! Sometimes one bad thing seems to come knocking at the door – and then many things happen. It’s best not to discuss these, as we all have our own hills to climb. But, sometimes amazing things occur too. After the past few months, the end … Continue reading “Little, you are ever so greater than big!”

November 14, 2019
by Claire Smith
Comments Off on Hope is Here

Hope is Here

I arrived late for the lecture today after handing back my kit for my fundraising job. As much as I genuinely love the work – and will hopefully do some of it again in the future – having three jobs and university lectures was taking it’s tole. And studies come first: they are priority. A … Continue reading “Hope is Here”

November 11, 2019
by Claire Smith
Comments Off on It’s not meetings… it’s CIRCLE TIME!

It’s not meetings… it’s CIRCLE TIME!

I always like a quick reflection here and there. And I always do love a few Christmas decorations here and there. But, you see, it’s only the 11th of November – lots more days left – and we are already seeing Starbucks sell your coffee because… ‘you really want that Christmas tree cup.’ I was … Continue reading “It’s not meetings… it’s CIRCLE TIME!”

October 28, 2019
by Danielle Skippens
Comments Off on Silent Movies and the Importance of Music Choice

Silent Movies and the Importance of Music Choice

For one of the TDTs for the Expressive Arts Modules, we were able to look at how emotions can be expressed through the arts as well as words. We were provided with the brief of created a short silent movie with a horror or thriller theme. We had to come up with a short story […]

October 22, 2019
by Isla Keith
Comments Off on LEARNING THEME EXPLORED THROUGH SONG AND DANCE

LEARNING THEME EXPLORED THROUGH SONG AND DANCE

The theme of shape has been chosen and this will be explored through song and dance. This song was selected because it is very upbeat and catchy. Having a strong tempo, with a cheerful tune is important in terms of getting the pupils hooked and maintaining their interest. The different verses will also stimulate interest […]

October 21, 2019
by Julia Savaniu
Comments Off on Teaching Modern Languages

Teaching Modern Languages

Teaching modern languages in primary school is a subject that I am passionate about as I have had my own positive learning experiences  that I am inspired to emulate. I have studied French academically for 9 years now, and my love for the language began when I was first introduced to it in Primary 6. …

Continue reading “Teaching Modern Languages”

October 18, 2019
by Isla Keith
Comments Off on Art & Design

Art & Design

Children, architecture and the urban environment This TDT will explore Dundee University’s campus, which is a close-knit campus with everything that a student might need within a 5-minute walk. In particular, the TDT will focus on the main student library. The main student library is positioned in the very middle of campus. It was creatively […]

October 13, 2019
by Claire Smith
Comments Off on Did you say ‘let’s read?’ Oh… I’d love to!

Did you say ‘let’s read?’ Oh… I’d love to!

Reading week is here. (Almost.) And that reminds me of letters, words and sentences: are they the raw essentials for a book? I think letters create words. I wonder if words can act as sentences alone? I see that most sentences need a verb. That’s how we all started learning English – and essentially, university … Continue reading “Did you say ‘let’s read?’ Oh… I’d love to!”

October 13, 2019
by Amy Fraser
Comments Off on My Mini Inquiry- Where are there IB schools around the world?

My Mini Inquiry- Where are there IB schools around the world?

I know that there are International Baccalaureate (IB) schools worldwide, however, I would like to use this opportunity to inquire about the IB’s history and find out just how many IB schools are out there and where exactly they are in the world. It is amazing that all IB schools share the same curriculums, yet […]

October 10, 2019
by Rebecca Watson
Comments Off on Pivotal Moment

Pivotal Moment

At my AoS meeting yesterday my adviser explained writing assignments in an alternative, or more broken-down way than I feel it has been explained before. Her specific way of explaining it worked so well for me personally because, as a friend rightly pointed out; I seem to understand things best when they are broken down […]

October 10, 2019
by Hope Russell
Comments Off on Why do I want to be a teacher?

Why do I want to be a teacher?

I first decided I wanted to be a teacher when I was in primary school. My primary one and two teacher, Mrs Henderson, made me feel so comfortable for being such a shy and quiet child. I would get upset and she would sit me on her lap and pull a tissue out of her sleeve for me. From then, I have always wanted to work with children and have the positive effect that Mrs Henderson had on me.

Through secondary school, I did work experience placement in a primary school in my area.  I was put into a primary one class where i worked with groups of children at a time through different activities such as maths, literacy and arts and crafts. This made me want to continue working with children in a school setting.

After school, I went to college to study Early Education and Childcare. I really enjoyed this and my placement was a great experience as I was in a primary school instead of a nursery. I became very close to my mentor and she gave me a deep insight into all the work and planning she did in her job. I was given so many opportunities to learn and after seeing the work she put into the class made me sure that I wanted to follow in her footsteps.

Since I had completed my college course, I have worked in a nursery for the past year. In previous jobs I would always dread going to work in the morning, however I love going to work, seeing the children and working closely with the other staff. When I started I was in the preschool room, working with children aged three to five. I got so much enjoyment out of planning activities and linking them to the curriculum. I was then asked to move into the baby room, I liked being in this room however I preferred working with the children who were older and had stronger communication skills. This made me want to study Primary Education more.

October 9, 2019
by Jocelyn Coventry
Comments Off on Dance: Choreographic Techniques

Dance: Choreographic Techniques

TDT: CHOREOGRAPHIC TECHNIQUES – DISCUSSION  Select 2 or 3 videos of dance performance which you would use with pupils to help develop their understanding of choreographic techniques. Include a plan or written discussion on how you would use these videos with the class and how you would support their development. Videos:  Waacking routine: Commercial routine: […]

October 9, 2019
by Jocelyn Coventry
Comments Off on Drama: Improvisation Lesson Plan

Drama: Improvisation Lesson Plan

TDT: PRESENTING: Performance Skills Create a breakdown of ‘performance skills’ (this can be presented as a list, mindmap, however you choose). Choose one aspect/skill and create a lesson plan(s) to support your pupils with this aspect of performance. Reflect on the wider benefits of this skill. How might this support pupils in their wider lives? […]

October 8, 2019
by Gemma Harcus
Comments Off on Captain Scott – Visualising His Life through the Drama Lens

Captain Scott – Visualising His Life through the Drama Lens

This piece of writing is a submission for my Expressive Arts E-Portfolio linked to my Assignment. Task: Choose a character from the past (it doesn’t have to be a famous person). Research that character and the time that they lived. Use the drama convention Visualisation to explore what it would be like to be that […]

October 8, 2019
by Claire Smith
Comments Off on The Lovely Lorax – and My Plan!

The Lovely Lorax – and My Plan!

I started writing a piece about planning over the weekend – and ironically, lost it. Great organisation, Claire! Anyhow, the weekend was successful in making notes about medium-term planning. I’ve done a few lesson plans here and there: but not yet, a medium-term one. What is that, exactly? Well, I had not a single (and … Continue reading “The Lovely Lorax – and My Plan!”

October 6, 2019
by Julia Savaniu
Comments Off on Actions Speak Louder Than Words

Actions Speak Louder Than Words

I was intrigued initially about the word ‘action’ existing as a concept in the IB PYP programme. It is not an aspect that is highlighted as clearly in CfE, so I was interested to find out how we as teachers can create a positive environment in the classroom to encourage this. When ‘action’ is mentioned, …

Continue reading “Actions Speak Louder Than Words”

October 6, 2019
by Amy Fraser

Actions Speak Louder Than Words

After learning about the role of action in the PYP, I now have a deeper understanding of why it is such a crucial part to the curriculum. I have learnt that actions come in many forms, big and small. Big actions are often life changing and make bigger impacts onto the individuals carrying out the […]