Welcome to Sir E Scott School! We are an all through 3-18 school that provides education for children and young people from Nursery through to secondary sixth year. We have a wide catchment area, covering the whole of Harris for secondary education provision and North Harris, Scalpay and the Bays district in the east for primary and nursery provision. Our associated primary school is Leverhulme Memorial Primary.
The school is situated in the village of Tarbert with outstanding views looking out onto West Loch Tarbert. The school takes its name from Sir Edward Scott, whose family owned the North Harris estate between 1867 and 1946. Sir Edward gifted the land on which the original school was built. The last private owner of the estate before it passed on to community ownership in 2003 was Jonathan Bulmer, the cider magnate.
In January 2012, Sir E Scott (Secondary department) moved into brand new custom built facilities, one of six schools built in the Western Isles as part of the Western Isles Schools Project (WISP). In August 2012, Nursery and Primary classes moved into the campus and are also now enjoying ‘state of the art’ facilities.
Mrs. Morag Munro, former Councilor and Chairperson of Education and Children’s Services Committee officially opened the new school on 9 October 2012.
We also provide Gaelic Medium Education in the Nursery and Primary sectors; we successfully introduced Gaelic Medium Education in the secondary department in RME and History in session 2016-17. Pupils may continue to study Gàidhlig as they transition to secondary education up to the end of 6th year, with some studying at Advanced Higher level.
At present we have approximately 200 children on the roll and about 45 members of staff, teaching and non-teaching.
Our community facility includes a public library, swimming pool, fitness room and large Sports Hall. In addition, we have an impressive 21st Century IT provision throughout. External facilities include outdoor play areas for nursery and primary pupils; a football pitch, multi use games area, an internal courtyard that provides social seating and outdoor learning provision, a main car park area and bus and car drop-off areas. Bike shelters are also available. The grounds are beautifully landscaped, including an outdoor amphitheatre section. FES Facilities Management manages the building.