On very rare occasions severe weather can lead to the emergency closure of schools. It is the Department’s aim to maintain as full an education service as possible in times of emergencies but that the health and well being of pupils and staff will be the first consideration. The decision to close a school rests with the Director. The role of the Head Teacher is in ensuring that disruption to education is kept to a minimum. Outlined below are the procedures we intend to follow in Thornliebank in the event of a school closure.
Thornliebank Primary School & Nursery Class Inclement Weather Update Information
The procedures that we intend to follow in Thornliebank are:
- Contact parents swiftly if a decision is made to close the school through our text messaging system or by telephone
- Allow children to leave immediately when an identified adult comes to collect their child
- As pupil numbers reduce, gather children in the gym hall to allow members of staff who live furthest away to leave school. We will always maintain appropriate pupil/staff ratios.
- Maintain contact with the parents of pupils who are finding it difficult to get to the school or who cannot contact a relative or friend to collect their child.
- The Senior Management Team will remain in school until all children are collected.
If the school is closed, information regarding this can be obtained through the following channels:
- Local radio, particularly Radio Clyde
- East Renfrewshire’s Website
- East Renfrewshire’s Twitter service
Please use the attached link to download the form to allow nomination of a friend or neighbour who can collect your child in the event of school closure should you be unable to.