S6 Leavers’ Ceremony

You will be aware that our S6 Leavers’ Ceremony was scheduled to take place this afternoon in Maxwell Mearns Church.

It is very sad indeed that the current situation prevents us from celebrating six years at Mearns Castle with our Class of 2020. It is particularly sad for me as, as you know, this would have been my last ever S6 Leavers’ Ceremony at Mearns Castle before my retirement.

Although we cannot be together we did not want this special occasion to pass without marking it in some way. The bulk of the ceremony would have been celebrating each of our S6 pupils by awarding Leavers’ scrolls. Unfortunately that is not possible in the current circumstances. Around the awards however would have been some musical and poetry performances and also speeches by me, Mr Phillips and our Pupil Leadership Team.

Click on the following links for copies of our speeches.

Mr Smith
Mr Philips

You can also see an excellent film made by the Pupil Leadership Team on the link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J1bMwNSN3YFjMo_i0c4_d5jEVEPYBqSM/view?usp=drivesdk

Although not the same as the S6 Leavers’ Ceremony itself we hope you enjoy these items and they make up in some small way for missing the Ceremony.

In relation to the other aspects of the S6 Leavers’ arrangements, we had placed the order for both the S6 Yearbook and the Class of 2020 Hoodies before school closed but obviously we haven’t yet received them. We will contact you again at some point in the future with information about collecting both the Yearbook and the Hoodies when we have them.

We were recently contacted by the Grand Central Hotel to tell us that since the hotel would not be opening again until at least 1 July 2020 that, unfortunately, they have to cancel our S6 Prom. They have told us that they will provide full refunds within 90 days of the hotel re-opening. So again, we will be in touch with you about the refunds when we have them.

Like you, I imagine, I never anticipated that instead of celebrating our S6 Leavers with you I would be based in Calderwood Lodge Primary School writing to you about it. Strange and unprecedented times indeed.

Class of 2020, we are missing you and will miss you very much. Please take care of yourself and look after each other and your families. We look forward to seeing you at some point in the future.

Our very best wishes for the future.

Mr Smith and Mr Phillips