Carnoustie High School pupils enjoy immersion days with young Spanish visitors

Posted by Isabelle Gall, Principal Teacher Curriculum, Modern Languages, Carnoustie High School

On Monday 9 November 2015 a group of 16 Spanish pupils from Santander came for the day to Carnoustie High School.

After an introductory ice breaker session, the pupils spent the day involved in sports and academic activities both in Spanish and English with the Nat 5 Spanish Carnoustie pupils.

In the evening they all took part in a “wee Scottish soirée” at the Station Hotel, where the Spanish folks were introduced to Scottish traditional music, Scottish poetry, highland dancing and a ceilidh.

“It was great fun socialising and dancing with them. The Spanish people were really nice.”

“I really enjoyed meeting the Salesianos, learning about their school and making friends with them.”

“I was a bit apprehensive at first but then I really began to enjoy the day and the experience.”

“The experience will be with me forever as I made new friends.  It was also really educational and helped with our speaking and listening.”

On Tuesday 10 November the 21 Carnoustie pupils studying Spanish Higher or Advanced Higher led their visitors on a tour of St Andrews which they had prepared in Spanish. The visit concluded with everyone enjoying a fish and chip meal at the Tailend Restaurant.

In June 2016 a group of Carnoustie pupils will have the opportunity to take part in a Spanish immersion visit to Santander, where they will meet their new friends again. In September, several S6 pupils from Carnoustie High and from Webster’s High School will undertake a structured work experience programme in the same region of Spain, where they will be expected to use their Spanish skills at an advanced level.