Felting CPD

Diane Plenderleith – Art and Design

I decided to select Hat/Headgear design in order to enable pupils to apply the techniques and use the materials I had learned how to manipulate through my CPD. The results produced were fantastic and I feel pupils achieved better results and enjoyed studying hat/headgear design as a result. Included are examples of Headgear from 4 pupils who have added comments in support of their learning and achievements.

Nicole Stevenson S5

‘I feel that felting has allowed me to experience using Traditional hat making materials in a modern and developed way. My Design ideas developed and I was able to achieve better results due to learning this new technique. I enjoyed learning this technique and feel my final result was successful, unique and innovative’.

Ashley Morrison S5

‘I feel that felting has improved my Design Unit, in particular my refinement and final solution. I was able to use Traditional felting techniques to create a very successful design. I made my own felting samples using Morino wool in layers and manipulated it with washing up liquid and bubble wrap. I had to work the surface of the wool to make the fibres bind together, creating unusual colours and textures’.

Eleanor Davidson S5

‘Felting allowed me to experiment with different textures, patterns and manipulate shapes to create the same folds found in origami. It also allowed me to develop my design further, by giving the piece flexibility whilst still keeping shape. I used a felting needle to add surface texture to my design, similar to the design on a magazine. I feel that by learning this technique my final design was more successful and I’m really pleased with it’.