60 Seconds News Brief (IDL – Social Studies)

Dermot Doherty – Social Subjects

Following the Inter disciplinary learning (IDL) review I began to think about my practice and look for lessons that may be IDL.

As part of the first year social studies course pupils create a 60 second news brief (Modern studies section).   I teach 3 groups of 1st years and did this lesson a few weeks ago with one set, it went well and pupils really enjoyed it.

I realised this lesson could be IDL with English as pupils are practising their extended writing skills, and after speaking to Mrs Neild in English she informed me pupils cover the 5w’s (Who, when, where, what, and why) when they do their own news reports. This link to English was strengthened by also covering the 5w’s as part of our task.

After a conversation with Mr Docherty links with ICT were also created. This occurred when pupils were able to use their Smart phones to access the schools WIFI to research news stories in class. Pupils worked in pairs and in almost every group one of the two pupils had a phone with which they could access the internet. If groups did not have this personal technology available they were allowed to create their own stories.

Before beginning the lesson we had a class discussion on how it linked to both English and ICT. We also spoke on sensible and acceptable use of the internet. Pupils were clear on what was expected. To make sure there was no confusion we also had a sign on the outside of the door saying “BEWARE, Pupils on mobiles”. Pupils were only allowed on their phone when this sign was displayed.

We probably all have lessons that are IDL but it is only when we sit and think about it that you notice the possible links. Pupils really enjoyed this task and the key skills they developed were report writing, how to use ICT for research, working as part of a pair, and improving their presentation skills.

Attached are some results of the lesson. Have a look and enjoy. Also comments and feedback are more than welcome 🙂