Animation in action

Diane Plenderleith – Art & Design

In the summer of 2010 I attended a week long  Animation CPD at Edinburgh College of Art funded by West Lothian Council and St Margaret’s Academy.  Throughout the week I learned various really interesting techniques in Animation and produced my own Animations. I collaborated and shared ideas with various teachers and artists and found this a really worthwhile CPD opportunity. The following year 2011, through CPD,  I invited Jim Stirk from Red Kite Animation to visit the department and provide a two day event. On day one I was introduced to some of the technical aspects and shown how to create animations and on day two this information was shared with my colleagues within the department. Having learned these skills I have now introduced Animation to S3 Level 4 as a Design Unit. The pupils have been fantastic and have responded to the course with enthusiasm. This is a new venture and they are delighted to be part of it. Evidence of their Investigation and Research work as well as Development ideas can be seen above and they look forward to filming their work in the very near future. Watch this space!