Enquiry into Professional Practice

Sue Weir – PE teacher

I have just completed my first year in a Masters in Enquiring into professional practice at Stirling University. This has been an enjoyable and really worthwhile experience. Over the past year I have been researching educational practice such as reflective practice, active learning and interdisciplinary learning. Having the opportunity to read up to date journal articles has been excellent for me as a professional but also being able to contribute towards my department’s progress.

For example, I have always used active learning strategies but I have learnt ways to use these strategies further and in turn increased the amount of benefits for pupils. I recently did a presentation on active learning to my lecturer, fellow teachers and a HMIE inspector. This included some of the ways our school uses active learning. The course has also improved my ability to read policies more critically and how to understand the hidden ideology. I am finding this course extremely valuable and would encourage others to consider doing it.