Using data analysis for targeted intervention, mentoring and raising attainment

John Slavin Faculty Leader Raising Attainment

My recent CPD has included working with Seemis and TMR (our data management system) to exact data entered by teachers, analyse this and use the results for targeted intervention. By manipulating the data, pupils who are underachieving can be identified and targeted. A monitoring programme has been devised and teachers were invited to participate in delivering this to the S4 pupils. The course I am currently undertaking at Stirling University is in Coaching and Mentoring and the programme for our pupils is based largely around the major themes from this.

As well as the targeting intervention, I have organised an “Inspire” day conference for all of S4. This involved working with colleagues to put on a number of workshops based around study skills and motivation. The feedback from the S4 pupils was positive and very constructive. A number of useful suggestions from the pupils will be taken into account for the next conference. The ideas for the conference and the methods of collecting feedback were, again, largely following the ideas from the Mentoring course.

Ultimately, the aim of these projects is to help raise pupil attainment.