Stirling, SQA and SSERC CPD Supporting Science Improvements

Catherine Kerr Faculty Leader Science

My recent CPD activities have included starting an MSc in Leadership at Stirling University, attending SQA workshops for national qualifications, attending the Secondary Science Education Research Centre and becoming a writer for a Biology eTextbook. In addition to this I am completing a course in Coaching & Mentoring and trialling the online Edmodo resource with my Higher classes. This invaluable professional learning journey has had a positive impact not only on my own practice but also on colleagues and pupils within my faculty.

These particular CPD activities were chosen as a result of self-reflection and from PRD meetings. I anticipated that the leadership course would help me to develop my skills in leading and managing change within my faculty. In particular I wanted to achieve a consistent and enjoyable learning experience for pupils regardless of which science subject they chose and of course to raise attainment. The SQA workshops would enhance my knowledge of changes at national level that would ensure their smooth implementation. Resources provided by SSERC would be shared and incorporated into our science courses to provide practical lessons that meet the principles of CfE. Being on a writing team for Nat 4&5 Biology would provide an additional resource for pupils. Use of Edmodo has already helped to engage Higher pupils with revision and homework assessments and mentoring a colleague has helped to support our professional growth. All of these initiatives support the School Improvement Plan Priority 1.

Since taking up these CPD initiatives there is no doubt that there has been significant changes in improvements across the faculty. It is difficult to ascertain whether improvements in pupil attainment, pupil uptake of science courses, developments in the BGE and Senior Phase and capacity for leadership of colleagues within my faculty are a result of these CPD opportunities but I’m confident that they have played their part. More likely the cumulative CPD activities of the faculty team have.