Working Together for Better Science Learning – a Cluster Approach to CPD

St Margaret’s Academy Science department has been approached by SSERC to develop the transition process in science. The rationale and outline of this programme: “Working Together for Better Science Learning – a Cluster Approach to CPD programme” can be downloaded here. Myself and colleague Keith Varty along with one of our primary colleagues Jennifer Currie were invited along to the first workshop of the Armadale cluster to see how this works and if it is something that we would be interested in leading across our cluster. Each cluster primary school had sent at least two representatives to this event and Armadale Academy also had members of the science department there to help support their primary colleagues in the science tasks carried out during the workshop.

The workshop was entitled “A Waste of Space.” and it was lead by the members of the SSERC team. The teachers were split into two smaller groups, each containing at least one member from each cluster school. One of the groups were tasked with building rockets, and the other group learning how to use computer technology to measure the height that the rockets built reached. Each cluster primary that attended this event were given a full set of free resources for their school which included a rocket launcher to launch the rockets that the children will make and a digital camera to video the rocket launch to allow them to work with the computer technology to measure the height the rocket reached.  The second task in the workshop was a discussion activity that can be used to promote discussion about space in the classroom which had huge potential for both Primary and Secondary classes.

This event was very successful with the Armadale cluster and I believe very worthwhile for all members of staff who are involved.  We therefore plan to build links with SSERC to hopefully facilitate transition within our cluster using this approach.  If you would be interested in supporting the delivery of this project please leave your name as a comment to this post and we shall be in touch.

8 thoughts on “Working Together for Better Science Learning – a Cluster Approach to CPD”

1. I’d love to come along and see what’s going on! I hope ex-St Margaret’s people are allowed to attend!

2. This event was very successful and as a Primary teacher it was a great opportunity to liase with some of our cluster secondary teachers. I have worked with SSERC in the past and they offer great resources, plans and support for involving children and teachers in exciting and interesting Science activities. The transition material that SSERC were implementing with the Armadale cluster, I think, would be something that would be of great use within our own cluster and hope that there will be future opportunities for more staff to be involved.

3. This sounds like an excellent opportunity to develop a shared understanding of the delivery of science across our cluster. I would welcome the chance to work with our primary colleagues and support the transition of pupils. Count me in Laura and Keith!

4. This sounds like a brilliant way to meet teachers from our cluster primaries and will also provide ideas to inspire and enthuse primary children.
    I’m very keen to get involved!

5. I am a P3/2 teacher at St Mary’s Primary in Bathgate. I was forwarded your link by a colleague as she thought it may be of interest to me and the school as a whole. We have a very active science interest in school but this would be enhanced by an opportunity such as you have described. Thank you for this information and I will spread the word to my cluster high school.

6. Thanks for this information Laura. This sounds like a great opportunity for enhancing the delivery of science across the cluster and I am keen to find out more and get involved.