Important Parents – Please Read and Respond

School Update – Please respond as soon as possible.

Dear Parent/ Carer,

I hope you and your family are staying safe and well.  Following on from the First Minister’s information yesterday, I would like to update you on some school matters.

The recent few weeks have seen unprecedented change and challenge for pupils, parents and staff.  As we migrated to home learning, we all learned to be flexible as we evolved.   I wish to thank you for your continued support in home learning and patience as we became familiar with new models for learning. Our staff have responded amazingly well, checking in with our children and providing a wide range of learning activities.  Early Years Staff have engaged with pupils using their Learners’ Journals and the Blog. As we develop our blended model for learning it is important that children engage with the online learning activities and check-in for updates and news.  Please encourage your children to check in daily to TEAMs, Sumdog, Education City and other online resources.

We have continued to engage with partners including, Kids Gone Wild, Authors Online, SMK Dance School, Hidden Giants, National Galleries and Scottish National Theatres to support learning and provide exciting activities for our children.

New Resources

A range of new online learning resources have been purchased to support learning in Literacy, Numeracy and Music with plans to further extend this to include other areas of the curriculum.

If you experience difficulty accessing the online learning resources please use the school email wlstjosephwhit-ps@westlothian.org.uk for support.

Transition

Our P7 children are currently taking part in an online transition programme with St Kentigern’s staff and will receive transition packs through the mail.  Children moving to Whitburn Academy will begin their transition programme in the coming weeks. Any additional events will be shared in their TEAM.

The organising school for the Paris Trip is in discussions with the Travel Company.  When I receive a progress update I will contact you by Blog and Groupcall to share the information.

P7 Hoodies have been ordered but have not arrived yet.  The Parent Council will gift the children with school ties.  When the Hoodies arrive I will contact parents and make arrangements for collection of both hoodie and tie.

Children joining the Nursery Class and Primary 1 will be able to take part in transition programmes in June.

Reports

Due to the current situation, end of year Reports may be emailed this session.  Please email your child’s Initials and class with your email address to wlstjosephwhit-ps@westlothian.org.uk

We will then use this as your email for school communications.

Health and Well-being

As we begin to work with Authority and Cluster colleagues to plan our blended learning model, Health and Well-being will be our priority. Currently, a key element of class check-in is to reassure and emotionally support each other and to stay connected.

We understand how difficult it is to balance work and family demands just now and how challenging it can be to engage the children in their learning.  Please be assured that we do not expect children to take part in every activity and understand if you cannot engage every day. We are all doing our best.  Please start each day afresh and encourage them to take part in activities, news about school events are shared here.  If you are having difficulty and wish to discuss it further please email the school email wlstjosephwhit-ps@westlothian.org.uk and I will contact you to offer support.

Safeguarding

West Lothian Council have issued advice on the Safeguarding of our children during this period of learning from home. It follows the principles of the Safe Arrivals procedures. Class Teachers are able to monitor engagement in learning and check-in.  If a child is not engaging in learning activities online or does not check-in with the class teacher in a school week and no reason is given for this, the Head Teacher is informed.  Attempts will be made to contact the parent by Groupcall, telephone or email.  If contact is unsuccessful, a risk assessment will be carried out and a decision made on whether it is necessary to escalate concerns to Social Services or Police Scotland for further investigation.

West Lothian Council have issued online questionnaires for parents and pupils and a link has been placed on the School Blog and App.

As further information becomes available regarding school events, transition and blended learning updates will be placed on the Blog and in TEAMS.

Thank you for your continued support during this period of home learning. We will continue to update you as matters develop. Please stay at home and stay safe and well.

Mrs F.A. Burns

School Update 220520

Primary 1- Tuesday 26th May 2020

Good Morning P1

I hope you are all well and enjoying the weekly tasks you were set yesterday!

On Education City today there are  some science activities for you! Remember to watch the ‘Learn it’ video for all the fascinating facts then complete the activities!

Our new challenges are doodle (drawing) challenges! Today is day 1! Good luck!

30-days-of-doodles challenge

Have a fantastic day and remember to keep safe!

Miss McCullagh

Primary 3 Home Learning 25/5

Good morning Primary 3.

I hope you are all well. I have completed your home learning for the week.

Please remember you do not have to complete all of the tasks.

Primary 3 Home Learning 25 May

I have also got a topic task for you about the Ancient Egyptians. This week we are going to be looking at the Ancient Egyptian Gods.

Watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aojfVYCPeSs

There is an information sheet and questions to complete:

Egyptian Gods and Goddesses Reading Sheet

Egyptian Gods and Goddesses Questions

Sumdog tasks: spelling and maths.

Education city tasks:

• writing – acrostic poem
  • reading – predicting
  • reading – reading aloud
  • maths – addition and subtraction
  • science – plants

Primary 2 Home Learning

Good morning Primary 2. Hope you have all had a great weekend.

This week in Education City I have opened up an addition MyCity with another playlive game at the end. So play through ‘Apple Addition’ and ‘Addition Impossible’ before trying to beat you friends in the playlive game.

In the homework MyCity there are the phonemes ‘au’ and ‘oi’ to have a go at. Play ‘Autumn Launch’ and ‘Soil Spoil’ to practise those 2 sounds.

I have also created a new spelling challenge over in SumDog. So if you’re up to the challenge head over to SUmDog and give the tricky words a go!

Good luck.

Mr Benyon

Primary 1- Monday 25th May 2020

Good Morning Primary 1

I hope you all had a fantastic weekend and are ready for another week of home learning!

Home Learning Week beginning 25th May 2020

There are also numeracy and literacy tasks on Education City for you to complete this week and numeracy and spelling tasks on SUMDOG too.

Here is today’s LEGO challenge! This will be our last LEGO challenge however I will have new and exciting daily challenges for you all from tomorrow!

Lego Challenge Day 30

I had a lovely surprise on Saturday when Mrs Mooney sent me the lovely video of the boys and girls of St Joseph’s which had made for all the staff to let us know that you are missing all of us as much as we are all missing you.

It was great to see so many of  your smiling faces on the video, I can’t believe how much you have all changed and grown since the last time I saw you all!

Please remember to stay safe and stay home! I am missing you all lots!

Miss McCullagh

Primary 1- Friday 22nd May 2020

Happy Friday P1!

You have reached the end of another week of home learning! I hope you have all had fun and enjoyed the tasks set!

Today I would like you to complete BLOG tasks and Education City tasks! You can also go onto SUMDOG for games.

Here is today’s LEGO challenge!

Lego Challenge Day 29

I hope you all have a great weekend and I will have more fun activities for you next week!

Stay safe and I am missing you all lots!

Miss McCullagh

Scotland Learns – Parents and Carers

In these uncertain times, parents, carers and families are under a lot of pressure, especially in supporting children to continue to learn. No-one expects parents and carers to take the place of teachers.

This weekly newsletter has ideas, hints and tips for parents and carers, including activities that children can do on their own at home or families can do together.

These activities are intended to complement the activities provided by your school and help your child have a broad range of learning experiences during the school closures. Follow this link to subscribe to the Parents and Carers newsletter.

Check out the first 3 editions below:

parentcarernewsissue1

parentcarernewsletterissue_2

parentcarernewsletterissue3