• Balbardie Primary School

Torphichen Street
    Bathgate
    EH48 4HL
    Tel: 01506 652155
    Email: balbardie-ps@westlothian.org.uk

Acting Head Teacher: Mrs Lesley Dunbar

• SEARCH FOR POSTS

• Meta

Dynamic Earth

As part of our recycle topic and looking after the environment Class G went on a school trip to Dynamic Earth.  It was great fun and all the pupils really enjoyed it and learnt lots of new things.  To begin with we had a recycling workshop.  We were learning about and matching different materials.  We had to match them to the number of years we thought they would take to decompose and even the teachers found this tricky and surprising.  After that we went back in time.  We were so excited about the time machine.  We learnt all about how the Earth began and one of our favourite parts was when the ground moved.  We also liked touching the cold ice berg.  When we were in the 3D cinema we all got a fright with the scorpion and Miss Garland and Erin got covered in foam.  It was very funny.  We finished our trip with a film in the 360 degree Snowdome. All pupils behaved very well and all really enjoyed our trip.  Miss Garland and Miss Fisher were very proud and happy with us.

P3B

Last week we were very busy.
In French, we were learning how to hold a conversation and ask questions! It was not as easy as it sounds. If somebody had already asked a question, we could say ‘et toi?’and it would be the same as us asking the same question!

On Thursday, P4B and P3B swapped teachers for a lesson! Mrs Collings came to P3B to make Mothers Day cards and Mrs Ghafoor went to P4b to Make Mothers Day cards but in French. The cards we made were lovely as we told Mummy or Granny why they were special. We then also made a flower bookmark with Mrs Ghafoor to put inside the cards.

In maths, we have been learning about how adding and subtracting are linked and how to find missing parts of the question using this knowledge. We also started revising about time and were very good with showing the time to O’clock and half past.

In writing, we have been writing a three part story and we are making it into a book. This means lots of hard work, but, the books are beginning to look very good.

Over the weekend, Rory won two medals! They were for winning all the games and scoring 10 tries in Rugby! Well done Rory!

Class O

Class O have been busy writing an imaginative story. We have planned our story and used this to write our story with a beginning , a middle and an end. The story includes lots of adjectives to make the  story interesting and exciting.  We have also been looking at all different punctuation and including in our story.  In maths we continue to look at different strategies to help  us with adding and subtraction.

Cody – I learnt new math strategies this really helped me with my maths. I  have started to choose a school lunch and trying new food this is good as I can sit with Aiden in the dinner hall.

Cameron – I did a Mothers Day thing … the chocolate basket  collapsed and  I forgot to give it to mum. I enjoyed PE with P5 and Class O. I also played a maths game with Jayden we gave each other sums to do.

Jayden –  I played a maths game with Cameron it was good fun we gave each other sums to do. I also liked to make paper with Mrs Gray . I made a chocolate basket for Mothers Day and a word made from scrabble my mum saw them on Friday and liked them.

Liam – I liked to make a sentences with Mrs Mallin using the different pictures. I made my mum a word puzzle with scrabble words and a chocolate basket it was fun.

Caitlin – I am really liking going to Armadale Primary to meet my friends. This week we decorated cakes and we got to take them home. I am now setting my own reading homework as I know what I need to do for integration and also completing with literacy booklet with little help from the Class O adults,

Assembly week

Last week we were so busy with the final assembly practices before we presented it to the school on Friday.

For our assembly we shared all our learning from our topic Ancient Egypt.  For our assembly we had to make a lot of the props ourselves like the heart which was weighed against a feather to see if the god would enter the afterlife.  We also coloured pictures of different gods which helped us tell a story.

Most of all we enjoyed learning and sharing our songs with everyone, especially the mummy song!

Maths

In maths we have been working on our times tables.  We have been revising our 3 times tables and also learning our 6 times tables.

With Miss Holwill we have been working out change from certain amounts of money.

We have been working on our handwriting in class to make it the best so people can read all our lovely work.

We also had lots of fun writing a newspaper report all about the finding of Tutankhamun’s tomb.  We enjoyed this because we got to write about the explorer Howard Carter and what he found in Tutankhamun’s tomb.

We also looked at internet safety and watched a Hector’s world episode which looked at keeping your personal information safe.

Achievements

Pupil of week last week- Kai

Star of the month in drama- Ellis

Star of the month in P.E. – Murray

Table of the week- Callum, Brooke, Ammie-Leigh and Murray

Tamsyn won a football medal

Charlie is now super at his karate!

Evan received his red belt Tae kwon Do

Ellis is playing piano in a concert!

Lily finally managed to swim in the big pool!

Wear It Blue

Reminder – It is Wear it Blue Day (Autism Awareness) on Thursday 30th March.  Pupils can wear blue to school and are invited to bring a donation for Signpost (a local charity which helps many of our ASD families).

A dynamic week in P1a

This week we went to Dynamic Earth. Mia

We saw some dinosaur footprints. Mac

The ice was cold. Megan

We went in a time machine. Olivia S

We listened to a dinosaur story. Ada

We had fun. Shannon

We touched dinosaur poo! Amber

We saw all the planets. Oliver

We went on a school bus. Holly & Emily

We got into groups and got taken away in a time machine and were being palaeontologists. Ellis

We went to see the different types of stones. Max

We went into a rainforest and watched a 3D movie! River

We saw a big brontosaurus foot! Aaron

We were being palaeontologists by cleaning the sand of the fossils. Jude

We watched a 3D show with lots of crashing. Ed

It was a great day and the children were fantastic!

We were taking away numbers in maths. Aileigh & James

We coloured in Easter pictures. Alex

We designed our own red noses. Jack

Pupil of the week:  Aileigh Brown for working really hard in numeracy especially at taking away.

P2B – What a wonderful week!

P2B have had a super week performing our wonderful show ‘Caterpillar Boogie.’ We had a really successful dress rehearsal on Tuesday when pupils from Bathgate West, Bathgate Early Years and Rainbow nursery came to watch us perform. We then did 2 super performances on Thursday for our parents and special people. We even had a lovely surprise for them at the end.

Some of the things we enjoyed this week are:

Grace Q – I liked our costumes in the show.

Orlaith – I enjoyed learning about the story of Easter.

Ryan – I liked the show.

Alex – I liked learning about castles.

Alysheeya – I liked learning about castles.

Dionne – I liked learning about Arrow Loops on castles.

Esther – I liked being a butterfly in the show. I liked giving the flowers to my gran and saying my lines.

Grace M – I liked everything about the show.

Eilidh – I enjoyed learning about castles.

Lilyrose – I enjoyed learning about all the different parts on the outside of a castle.

Keira – I enjoyed giving the flowers to my gran.

Rhianna – I enjoyed giving my flowers to Nana.

Scott – I liked ordering numbers to 100.

Evie – I liked looking at hard numbers.

Freya – I enjoyed being a butterfly in the show.

Ehan – I enjoyed spotting the signs of Spring.

Ava – I enjoyed counting up to 100.

Joseph – I enjoyed being a caterpillar in the show. I liked the facepaint.

Fearne – I liked being a Butterfly.

Kayden – I enjoyed counting to 100.

Elise – I enjoyed everybody smiling.

Sara – I liked learning about the different parts of a castle.

Pupil of the Week – Rhianna

P6a

Rhia and Sophie: I enjoyed the basketball festival-  we  learned how to play and it was fun

Harvey and Samantha: I enjoyed writing about red squirrels

Eva: I liked learning more about time- I can now tell 5 minute intervals on a clock

Tom: I enjoyed the assembly about Egyptians

Lennox: I enjoyed learning 5 minute intervals in time. I found it quite tricky but I worked hard and got there in the end.

Holly: The basketball festival helped me to discover that I really like basketball!

Naomi: I enjoyed comparing Wales and Scotland in reading comprehension this week.

P7a

This week we have been continuing to learn about World War 2. We have been learning about the role of women during the war. Women had many different roles including farming, working in factories and working as nurses. This changed the image of women. We worked in groups to complete a critical skills challenge. We had to create a t.v advert for either rationing or women’s jobs. We had to use our criteria checklist to ensure we included everything. The t.v adverts were fantastic and we still have some to watch next week.#

In art this week we were exploring the use of hot and colours to create a mood or atmosphere in a picture. We use different shades of cold colours to create concentration camp pictures. We could choose whether to use chalk or paint. Some people chose to create a picture of an angry soldier and we used different shades of hot colours for this.

Some of the girls in our class have been helping Mrs Innes organise and choreograph the P2 school show. We had our performances of the show this week and it was wonderful. Well done to everyone involved and the primary 2 children.

See you next week!

Red Squirrel Reporters!

Primary 6 pupils have been using their research, reading and note taking skills to find out information about red squirrels in Scotland. We have been learning to record and organise our information in writing and by using Microsoft Powerpoint and Word. Working in pairs, we have found out that red squirrels are native to Scotland but that unfortunately their numbers are declining due to the rise of grey squirrels and a disease that they carry.

Firstly, we planned our reports by using categories to gather information. Next, we wrote our reports by hand and presented them in an organised fashion using subheadings. Afterwards, we typed them up using Microsoft Word. Finally, we self and peer assessed our writing against our targets.

We have enjoyed writing our reports and are pleased that we have worked hard to meet our writing targets. We have learned lots of information about the red squirrel and are looking forward to some themed art work next week. Watch this space!

Pupil of the Week this week was Lauryn who not only met her writing targets, but produced a plan, written and typed report to a very high standard. Well Done for all your hard work, Lauryn!

P2A

This week has been a very busy week for P2.  We had our Tuesday dress rehearsal for our show ‘Caterpillar Boogie’ and we had fun trying on our costumes.  The show was on Thursday and we loved giving our special person a bunch of flowers. Very emotional! Miss McDougall and the rest of the P2 staff are very proud of all the P2 children.  They did a fantastic job!

In P.E we learned how to work collaboratively in teams and we enjoyed learning our new games.

Reminder about the Easter competition for the 27th of March to bring in a decorated hard boiled egg.  There will be prizes!

Achievements

Well done to Eva and Emma who won first place at their cheerleading competition

Well done to Eva who won the Safety Banner competition.  She will have her winning design made into a banner and displayed outside the front playground.

Pupil of the week-Emily

Class M’s Busy Week

This week we have been doing lots of different learning activities in Class M.  We decided to all share our favourite.

Yolie – I lake doing the swimming lessons.  The instructors are Jamie and Ross.  I put my face in the water and I jumped into the pool.

Charlie – I like PE.  I liked climbing the monkey bars.  I got to the top.

David – We were writing on the paper that we made for Mother’s Day.

Adam – I enjoyed making colourful paper with Mrs McNeill.  It was very fun.  Next week we are making new clothes out of old clothes.

We are looking forward to the last week of school before the holidays.

5B

This week we worked together in small groups to create our own news reports based on our finished kidnapping stories. To do this we had different roles. In groups we assigned the roles which best suited our abilities there was a reporter, presenter, editor, director, victim and witnesses, camera person and script writer.

Evie: I liked getting interviewed.

Erin: we chose one person’s out of our group and based the report on that.

Emma: I liked being the editor for my group because I also produced the artwork for our studio.

Olivia: I liked being the cameraperson because I like filming.

Grace: I liked cameraperson because I had fun doing it.

Kayleigh: I liked signing the jingle for our report “K news now”. It stands for kids news.

Leia: I liked getting interviewed.

Next week is the last week of term. It is also our trip to New Lanark and Victorian Day on Thursday.

Leia: I am looking forward to seeing the first ever infant school.

Robyn: I am looking forward to our trip.

David: I am looking forward to PE next week.

Demi – Leigh: I am looking forward to sleeping on the bus. Also in the Easter holidays I am going to see Ed Sheeran.

Evie: I am looking forward to Victorian day.

Grace: I am looking to seeing Mr Cunningham putting making us wear dunces hat and dressing up as a Victorian teacher.

Annabelle: I am looking forward to Victorian day.

Aaron: I am looking forward to seeing the cotton.

Dadirayi: I am excited for my trip and Victorian day.

Olivia: I am looking forward to Victorian day and maybe dressing up as a Victorian.

Emma: I am looking forward to Victorian day.

James: I am looking forward to New Lanark.

P5a

We have been practising for our church Service this week and Karys said she really enjoyed it.

This week in outdoor p.e. we were learning to play Rugby and it was very popular!  We are expecting a call from the SRU shortly…

Isla – I liked it making shapes with our bodies in Drama!

Rachael – i liked learning about New Lanark and I am excited about our trip.

Eva – I liked learning different painting techniques and painting cherry blossom trees.

We are off to New Lanark on Tuesday! Please put lunches in a carrier bag and ensure suitable footwear and a waterproof jacket.

WHAT A WEEK IN P3/2 !!!

What a fantastic week in P3/2…

We watched a superb show on Tuesday ( dress rehearsal) then to family and friends on Thursday

” Caterpillar Boogie”. Well done everyone !

We have been working hard on Time and Division in Maths and Numeracy. We made healthy sandwiches this week and ate them! We also gave our sandwiches a name and then voted on the best. Dylan ‘s got the most votes and Zara was a runner up!

Dylan’s delicious sandwich and Zara ‘s zooming sandwich…What would you call your healthy sandwich?

Here are our comments for this week of Learning :-

Sophie M., Sophie S., Isla,Lily,Jess- We like dressing in red for Red Nose Day

Nina-I liked making my  healthy sandwich. Mine was called ” Nina’s nice sandwich”

Grace- I liked getting my photo taken with Archie after the P2 show

Eden-I liked being a bird in Caterpillar Boogie

Archie-I liked doing my gardener dance in the P2 show

Luis-I liked being a gardener in the P2 show

Harris-I like dressing down today with my Ducati tshirt

Zara- I liked making my healthy sandwich. Mine was called ” Zara’s zooming sandwich”!

Katie-I loved making and eating my healthy sandwich. It was called ” Katie’s crazy sandwich”

Kaycee- I liked The Egyptian Assembly today

Eva-I like doing the Mother’s Day picture

Florence- I liked making my sandwich. I called it” Florence’s favourite sandwich”

Niamh-My sandwich was called”Niamh’s nice sandwich”. I enjoyed making and eating it

Max- “Max’s marvellous sandwich” was my name for my healthy sandwich !

Ross-I liked wearing my blue wig as part of Red Nose day

Rory-I like making my sandwich-“Rory’s rapid sandwich” yesterday

Dylan- My sandwich title won ! ” Dylan’s delicious sandwich”

ARTICLE 12 The right to be listened to

ARTICLE 31 The right to feel safe and secure

Well done

Eva Pupil of the week for 100% effort in all areas

Dylan best sandwich title

DIARY DATES

Monday 27th March

Bring a decorated egg to school

Friday 31st March

Easter service at The High Church and Easter Holidays too

Happy Red Nose Day

The weeks never get any less busy! In Health and Wellbeing this week we acted out situations where we were being annoyed by someone. We had to act out how we would deal with these situations. We learnt to get more confident in dealing with these sorts of problems. The first response is to speak politely for the person to stop whatever they are doing. The second is to repeat yourself more firmly. Finally, if the person continues to annoy us, we give them a ‘last chance warning’ which if they ignore, means that we will tell the teacher.
We have been enjoying our music workshops with NYCoS and are looking forward to them continuing next term for a brief while.
We have also been making Viking games this week. We have devised a number of different games which we are looking forward to playing next week when the rules and pieces are all finalised.
We learnt about Up Helly Aa in our Viking topic. Up Helly Aa is a fire festival held in Shetland on the last Tuesday in January. Squads of men dressed as Vikings march around the streets singing songs. In the evening, a big Viking Galley which has been built on the pier in Lerwick is burnt with the fire from 1000 torches which are thrown into it. After the burning, there are parties and celebrations which go on until the morning. The following day is a day off from school and work to recover! Maisey’s Dad is going to be in one of the squads in the future because his friend will be Guizer Jarl, the chief Viking.
This video was made during this year’s festival

This week the children are bringing home their review jotters. Please ensure that these are returned by Wednesday 29th March.
The Primary 4s have been running a competition to see which class can save the most pennies in their Snuffles box. We look forward to sharing the totals with you!
Pupil of the week – Emily for being a good team players in the benchball festival.

Table of the week – with 740 points

Article 28 – the right to an education

Primary 2/1 Blog – Week Beginning 20.3.17

This has been a particularly busy week for P2/1.

On Monday we had our P1 photograph, then on Tuesday the P2s had the dress rehearsal for their show ‘Caterpillar Boogie’ – the P1s were very lucky and got to go and watch the rehearsal and thought they were fabulous. After that, on Wednesday, was our class trip to Dynamic Earth followed by the P2s show on Thursday! Today we are having lots of fun for red nose day!  We are all very tired after a busy week but can’t believe we only have one week left of school before the holidays!

Here are the best bits from our trip on Wednesday:

Cameron – “I liked seeing the magic time travel bit”

Regan – “I liked the time machine as well, it was a bit scary”

Rio – “I liked touching the cold ice”

Breaghannon – “The time machine was my favourite bit”

Rory – “I liked the bus journey because I liked the adventure”

Griffin – “I liked the earthquake bit and the 4D film”

Leila – “I liked when we got to wear special glasses to watch the film.  A giant scorpion jumped out the film”

Teigan – “I liked when I had the glasses on”

Emily – “I liked the ice bit, it was very cold”

Millie – “I liked the volcano bit, it gave me a fright”

Leah – “I liked the bus bit the best”

Poppy – “I liked everything!!”

Keegan – “I liked when we went on the aircraft and the giant rhino came”

Brandon – “I liked the bus journey because it was fun”

Max – “I liked the ice bit and when we got to see the jumpy film”

Liam – “I want to go back to Dynamic Earth, it was lots of fun”

Ellie – “I liked the rainforest bit with the animals that moved”

Jonah – “I liked the ice bit and learning about  the animals that live in the cold”

Marley – “I liked going on the bus, and the ice bit and I really want to go back there”

Assembly Time

On Friday we presented our last ever assembly on our learning about World War Two.  We all had lots of fun and we hope you did too!  Below you can see some pictures from the day!

In art we looked at propaganda from WW2.  Propaganda is biased information to promote a point of view .  We made our own propagana art. We enjoyed thinking of our own catchy and influential phrases. Here is an example:  if you want them to be free, make them evacuees.

In Heath and Wellbeing we were exploring the term ‘compassion’.  We then made cards for some people who we feel compassionate towards.  For example, someone gave their mum a card stating I will do the dishes for the whole week. We enjoyed doing this task and we hope that if you received a card you liked it!

Class dojo winners : Meadow and David

Table of the week :Team bones

P1b

Maksim – We did number lines to 20, 30, 50 and then to 100.
Hamish – We glued on dinosaurs and fossils to make it like snakes and ladders.
Noah – We needed to count and write the numbers.
Josh – We made snakes and ladders by gluing dinosaurs on and their tails.

Emma – We were writing lots of facts about dinosaurs from ‘Andy’s dinosaur adventures’.
Jacob – A fact I remember is that a pterodactyl can fly in the air.
Caitlin – Pteranodons eat fish.
Maksim – Pterodactyls are very noisy.

Hamish – On Wednesday we had our mums and dads come to see our learning.
Josh – At Shared Start we had some games out and we showed all of our mums and dads how well we have been learning.
Ava – We had mild, spicy and hot things to do.
Gracie – Mild, spicy and hot things are there to challenge ourselves.

Evie – We were trying to make an explosion and to make a volcano and it spread out in the whole playground.
Emma – All of us were in a circle and looking to see what would happen.
Josh – We used the paper as a funnel and it broke the bit of paper when it exploded.
Max – We had Diet Coke and put mints in it and that made it explode down the hill.

Evie – We were trying to make dinosaur fossils with cotton wool buds.
Matthias – First, we practised putting the cotton wool on the pictures so we could then put it on the black paper without the picture.
Hamish – We stuck them onto the paper after we practised.

P3/2 have been learning in different ways

We learn on our own, with a partner, in small groups or as a whole class.

We do this in Maths, Literacy, IT, PE, Drama, Art, Music and RME.

Here are our comments:-

I like Drama as we are learning The gingerbreid mannie in Scots. I am the gingerbreid mannie !-Katie

We like doing the Caterpillar Boogie. We are gardeners-Isla,Luis,Harris

I got Pupil of the week for giving 100% in all areas.I felt really happy-Eva

We like doing Maths because it gives us more knowledge. Just now it is Mental Maths-Jess,Eden,Dylan

I can’t believe that Mrs Innes said I am going to be chatting to Education Scotland about The Gingerbreid mannie-Grace

The Gingerbreid mannie is in Scots and it is so hard to do!-Florence

I like being the narrator in The gingerbreid mannie-Niamh

I like getting Star of the month from Drama with Mrs Innes. I got it for my solo singing in The Caterpillar boogie-Lily

I like doing PE with Mr Jeffries on a Monday. We played Cops and Robbers today-Ellie

I liked growing cress with Mrs Spence last Wednesday-Zara

Today we were playing Tunnel Tig at PE-Rory

I like doing Art with Mrs Spence. I loved Jolomo sketching and painting-Archie

I like being Narrator one in The Gingerbreid mannie-Ross

I like being an animal in The Gingerbreid mannie-Nina

I am enjoying being a rainbow bird in Caterpillar Boogie-Sophie S.

I liked getting a new workbook for Maths. I did some dividing in it -Max

I like my part in The gingerbreid mannie as a narrator-Kaycee

I like Caterpillar Boogie-Noah

DATES FOR YOUR DIARY

CATERPILLAR BOOGIE DRESS REHEARSAL -Tuesday 21st March

CATERPILLAR BOOGIE SHOW-Thursday 23rd March

Please send costumes in if you haven’t already !

Thank you