Whalsay School

Dynamic Earth

This week Whalsay School welcomed James and Toni from Dynamic Earth. Pupils from P1 to S4 all spent time inside the inflatable Planetarium exploring our Solar System and beyond…

They took their show from Dynamic Earth in Edinburgh sharing interesting facts and amazing images of our planet and the universe.

Teachers also took advantage of their valuable expertise at an after school workshop to get ideas for future collaborative projects in school.

It was a fantastic show and all staff and pupils really enjoyed their visit. Please see some pupil feedback below and photos from the day

Quotes from Secondary pupils:

“It was cool ,exciting and exhilarating. I liked how it related to Shetland … It was very well explained and I wish it could’ve lasted longer … Please come again.”

“We loved it! We found it fascinating, interesting and amazing! … It was space-tastic!”

“It was cool … spectacular … amazing … interesting … The pictures from the James Webb telescope were very clear and fascinating.”

“Learning about all space related things is very interesting … I liked looking at the stars”

“It was really cool, it was fun”

“It was really good”

“Definitely worth them coming all this way”

“I feel like I want to go to the planetarium when I’m sooth now”

“My Favourite bit was the Constellations and Aurora”

“The moving satellites were amazing”

“I loved it when the clouds cleared”

“Amazing pictures from the James Webb telescope”

”It was SO cool, they should definitely come back”

”I found it really interesting and relaxing”

”I really liked the pictures taken from the fancy telescope”

“I really liked when she pressed the button and the clouds cleared from the sky”

“My favourite bit was the dome itself and the really cool door”

“We learned lots of new stuff: eg that its oxygen and nitrogen that gives the different colours in the Aurora”