Whalsay School

April 7, 2021
by Mr Spence
0 comments

SDS School Leavers Webinar

Following a very successful recent webinar, SDS is hosting another webinar for parents of pupils in S4-S6 who are planning to leave school this year. It is running on Thursday 22 April, 6:30-7:15pm and will cover the SDS support available to these young people and how to help them make decisions.

You can find further information here.

March 26, 2021
by Leona Sandison
0 comments

National Calendar 2022 competition for Fishermen’s Mission

Message from the Fishermen’s Mission:

We’ve a new interactive project – a calendar competition. The title & theme is ‘When the boat comes in – British fishing lives through the year.’

We are asking for supporters old and new to submit entries of either artwork/photo or a fish recipe based on a season of the year.

Winners and runners up will feature on the calendar alongside art and dishes from top artists and chefs.

The competition is for all ages and closes on the 16th April so could be a great project during the holidays.

I’ve attached a flyer but all the essential details are on our website https://www.fishermensmission.org.uk/calendarcomp22/

It would be great to get a Shetland picture/recipe in next year’s calendar!

FM Calendar Comp 22 flyer

March 17, 2021
by Miss Irvine
0 comments

Red Nose Day

To raise money for Comic Relief this year we encouraged pupils in the nursery and primary to come to school in fancy dress and bring in a donation or £1.50 to buy a red nose. We raised a total of £220.15 for Comic Relief.

Here are some photos from the day

March 9, 2021
by Mr Spence
0 comments

Fiddle Success

Well done to Magnus (S4) who has been competing in an annual competition run by the National Association of Accordion and Fiddle Clubs (NAAFC).  This year the competition was virtual and Magnus competed against over 25 other entries.  He won the Junior (Under 16) March, Strathspey and Reel class and was awarded the Association Cup/Kristy’s Ceilidh Shield.  You can see a recording of his performance here.

Special mention also to Evie (S1) who was competing for the first time in the same age group and has three more years in that class.

March 2, 2021
by Miss Irvine
0 comments

Here’s a bit of fun for World Book Day.

Can you guess the readers behind the mask? Remember one clue is false. I’ll share a list of names next week and there’s no need to return any answers to school.

I live at North Park. My favourite colour is red. I have a dog.

I have a pet dog. I am a Barcelona Fan. I love Star Wars.

I have blonde hair. I like swimming. I am under 11.

I have a pet dog. I am nine years old. I have two siblings.

My favourite colour is yellow. I am an only child. I am in Primary 7.

My name begins with H. I like digging. I have a pet dinosaur.

I am a boy. I play a musical instrument. I have two siblings.

I love playing with my cars. My name begins with B. Superheroes are my favourite.

I am the youngest bairn in my house. I have 8 sisters. My favourite football team is rangers.

I have 1 brother. I live at Symbister. I have a cat.

I love colouring in and drawing. I have no brothers and sisters. I love fancy dress.

I love horses. I live at Brough. I have a peerie sister.

I have two peerie brothers. I love cheese. I have a pet dog.

My favourite boat is the blue zephyr I live in a red house. I have 3 sisters

I am in P2. I like cake. I have a sister.

I love drawing boats. I am in primary 3. I live at Brough.

My mum works in da school. I’ve just had my birthday. I have a pet dog.

I am a Manchester United Fan. I have long hair. I am the oldest in my family.

I have a sister. My surname starts with ‘S’. I have brown eyes.

I am 11 years old. I like baking. I like to help my mum.

I support Rangers. I like the Beatles. I like CR7.

My favourite colour is blue. I support Manchester United. I live in a blue house.

I am the oldest in the family. I am in primary 3. I like horses.

I have two brothers called Robert and Joe. I loves grapes. I live at Skaw.

I am in P2. I have blonde hair. I love the masked singer!

I am the oldest bairn in my house. I have a pet snake. I live near the school.

I am a boy. I love going to the beach. I have blonde hair.

I go to nursery. I love baby shark. I am 4 years old.

I have a brother. I like playing in the sand. I go to the nursery.

I have a brother and a sister. I am 10. I am in P7.

I love schoolwork. I play a lot of video games. I have 2 sisters and a brother.

I have a lot of teddies. I like dogs. I’m in P6.

I have a dog. I have a brother and sister. I’m in P5.

I have blonde hair. I have 2 brothers. I have never worn glasses.

I have 2 brothers. I’m in P4. I have a pet cat.

I live in 2 houses. I’m in Shalder. I have 5 grannies.

I’m in Maalie. I’m 8 years old. My favourite colour is blue.

My favourite colour is green. I live in America. My middle name is Bobby.

My name starts with a W. I have hens and animals. My teacher is Mrs Irvine.

March 1, 2021
by Mr Spence
0 comments

Feedback on Skills Development Scotland (SDS) career service: 

Parents and carers are one of the main influencers over the choices young people make about subjects and careers.  

SDS works in close partnership with the school to support your child make informed career choices and would value feedback from parents and carers on their services. You can do this by taking a short survey.  

All responses are confidential and anonymous. The results will be used to improve SDS services in schools.  

The survey will be live until the 26 March 2021 and should only take about 10 minutes to complete. 

February 12, 2021
by Miss Irvine
0 comments

Royal Voluntary Service

The Royal Voluntary Service have emailed schools this week to explain how they have been working hard during the pandemic to ensure the well-being of their clients. One of their projects is called ‘cuppa in a box’, a monthly package that includes everything needed for an afternoon cuppa and treat.

The RVS have asked schools to support them by asking pupils in primary and nursery to draw a picture, write a story, joke or poem to include in the ‘cuppa in a box’ pack.

They went on to explain that many of the clients are missing their own grandchildren and love to interact with youngsters and we agree with the RVS that this would be a good opportunity for the generations to interact in a small way bringing a smile to many faces and also giving the children an important role.

If your children would like to take part, please return any pictures, stories etc to the Nursery or Primary by Friday 26th February.

February 4, 2021
by Mr Spence
0 comments

Whalsay School ELC Duty of Candour Report 2019-20

Whalsay School Early Learning & Childcare Duty of Candour Report 2019-20

All health and social care services in Scotland have a duty of candour. This is a legal requirement which means that when things go wrong and mistakes happen, the people affected understand what has happened, receive an apology, and that organisations learn how to improve for the future.

An important part of this duty is that we provide an annual report about the duty of candour in our services. This short report describes how Whalsay School has operated the duty of candour during the time between 1 April 2019 and 31 March 2020. We hope you find this report useful.

1. About Whalsay School ELC

Whalsay School ELC is a local authority provided day-care service for children based in Whalsay. During the period of this report, we ran 2 sessions each day for 3 and 4 year-olds with a maximum capacity of 15 children.

2. How many incidents happened to which the duty of candour applies?

In the last year, there have been no incidents to which the duty of candour applied.

3. Information about our policies and procedures

Where something has happened that triggers the Duty of Candour, our staff would report this to the Head Teacher, who has responsibility for ensuring that the Duty of Candour procedure is followed. The Head Teacher records the incident and reports as necessary to the Care Inspectorate. Should an incident happen, the Head Teacher and staff would set up a learning review, allowing all staff involved to review what happened and identify learning outcomes and changes for the future.

In any instance of a severe incident we will seek occupational welfare support to help any member of staff who has been affected by a Duty of Candour incident.

In any instance where parents/carers, children or other service users are affected by the duty of candour; we have arrangements in place to provide welfare support as necessary.

4. Other information

If you would like more information about the Duty of Candour please do not hesitate to contact us.