Loose Part Play St Fergus’
We are going to be introducing loose parts play into our learning in St Fergus’. Loose parts play has been used for many years with amazing results. It is encouraged throughout the primary curriculum for indoor and outdoor learning opportunities.
It is a chance for children to
- Play freely with friends
- Use lots of trial and error to learn for themselves
- Learn to make their own judgements about adventure play and recognise safe limits.
To do this we need to collect loose parts. The list of possible loose parts is endless but can include:
- Boxes – various sizes, materials and shapes
- Pine Cones
- Stones and Pebbles
- Tubes – various sizes, materials and shapes
- Bottle Lids
- Old Keys
- Glass Jars
- Small wheel from old toys
- Old cars or toys that move
- Metal baking trays or cup cake tins
- Wooden and metal utensils
- Small gardening tools
- Watering cans
If you have any of these things at home that you would be willing to donate to the school we would love to have them. Please only donate things that you already have at home and are no longer used.
A box will be left just outside the school gate for items to be left. Scot will bring the box into school for the items to be quarantined and cleaned before use.
Mrs Gray & Mrs Ellis