Mrs N’s Notes – 2.2.18

We finished off our Scottish month with a celebration of learning, covering song, poetry and art.  Learners from all classes, including our morning nursery, took part, with their peers cheering them on and joining in.  The effort and achievements demonstrated far surpassed my expectations.  Yet again, Kirkshaws staff, pupils AND parents  gave it their all.  I know many of you will have heard the same poems over and over again at home as your children practised them this month.  Thank you for your encouragement and patience as you supported us in this learning…it certainly paid off!

In other learning this week, I had the opportunity to visit Mental Agility lessons across the school.  This new initiative is having a huge impact on the confidence our pupils have when handling mental calculations.  Not only are they carrying out calculations quicker, they are also becoming VERY articulate when explaining their thinking.  From P.1 to P.7 I was blown away by the standards set.  Try it at home…give your child a sum then ask them to tell you HOW they worked it out.  Talk to them about how YOU did it and share ideas.  I assure you, you will be impressed at the language used and the amazing arithmetic.

The school was represented at the local Euro Quiz and SSFA Soccer Sevens at Broadwood Stadium.  You won’t be surprised to hear that our senior pupils were once again complemented on their behaviour and commitment to the task in hand.  Thanks also must go here to the staff who took the time to organise these trips and prepare the children for the day.

We also had a full agenda at the Fundraisers AGM on Monday evening.  Thank you to everyone who managed along.  As you know, the Fundraisers organise a wide range of events throughout the year, aiming to involve parents and pupils in various activities during the school day and in the evenings.  The funds they raise benefit all pupils in the school: Nursery Hallowe’en party; Christmas gifts for our younger learners; buses for trips; subsidising Kilbowie; Golden Pathway awards…the list goes on!  A huge THANK YOU to everyone who has given up their time to make all of this possible!  There are plans afoot for more events in the near future – details coming soon!

One more week before the mid-term break.  What else can we fit in now…?