St Bernadette's

30th April 2013

At last we seem to be enjoying some Spring weather, let’s hope it lasts especially until tomorrow for our P1 pupils Teddy Bears’ Picnic at Strathclyde Park.  I am pleased to report that everything is going to plan so far this term in St Bernadette’s.  Our children, teachers and support staff are all continuing to work hard to get through all the work and events planned for this term.  I have been delighted to see the new topic work being displayed on the walls.  In P1 & P2 everyone was sad to say goodbye to the Dragon from Fairy Land but now we are stepping back in time to the Victorian times, P3 are learning about Children from Other Lands, P4 are investigating all sorts of homes, P5 are having fun with the Knights and Castles topic, P6 are discovering what life is like in the Rainforest and P7 are really motivated by their technology topics including the E Portfolio completion and computer game design – I am looking forward to trying them out!

On Friday P5 will visit the Motherwell Heritage Centre to take part in a Knights and Castles workshop.  We are so lucky to have such an excellent resource so close at hand.  P4 will begin their visits to St Bernadette’s Church to finalise their preparations for 1st Holy communion.  Please remember them in your prayers.

I was really proud of our P6 & P7 pupils who were out of school last week and this week at Fire Reach and at a performance of the Scottish National Orchestra.  Once again they were a credit to themselves, the school and their families.  It is so heartening to see our children respond so well to the variety of opportunities they are given through the Curriculum for Excellence in St Bernadette’s.

Next Monday is a holiday and Tuesday is an in-service day for staff.  Our plans for the day include evaluating our progress for this year and agreeing our improvement priorities for next year.  This will also be a good opportunity for the staff to reflect on the many strengths which HMI have highlighted in their report.  I hope this will be with you very soon.