Primary 3/4

Welcome
Hello everyone! First of all, I cannot believe how well the children have settled into their new class at Keir Hardie. Everyone looks so smart in their school uniform and are adjusting to the school rules and routines very quickly. As always, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me at the school, via our class Teams page or through my email address nlclarkc1@northlan.org.uk . I am looking forward to working alongside you this year as your child’s teacher. Ms Clark

Homework
Homework will be issued through Teams and maths homework will be
set on Sumdog as we are trying to be more sustainable as a school. All login
details will be issued to the children. However, please let me know if you
cannot access Teams or Sumdog and paper packs will be issued. Homework
will be posted on a Wednesday.

Our Topic
Our topic for this term is ‘The Rainforest’ where we will learn the location of the Rainforests within the world by exploring maps. We will be exploring and comparing the climate of the Rainforest and that of Scotland. We will research the different types of animals and plants that live in the Rainforest. As the topic progresses, we will also look at deforestation and the affects that it will have on the world. I’m sure the children will be very excited to share their learning with you.
Mrs Hobbs will be in the class with the children on a Tuesday afternoon and will be covering Health and Wellbeing, Science and P.E. Our P.E days will be a Monday and Tuesday this year. Miss Mitchell and Mrs Reid will also be in class supporting pupils with their learning.

Literacy and Numeracy
This year, we will continue to learn new common words and phonemes. Please
encourage your child to read at home for enjoyment and continue to listen to your child read. Their reading book will be sent home with them as part of their homework. We will be looking at both fiction and nonfiction.

This term in maths we will be focusing on number processes and place value. We will also be looking at estimating and rounding. We will continue to investigate various mental maths strategies through our daily chilli challenges.

Children’s Belongings
To link with our school rules of ‘Ready, Respectful and Safe’ We are trying very
hard to train the children to take responsibility for their belongings as we
know these do not come cheap. Can you please ensure names are on all of your child’s clothing, gym kit and shoes, packed lunches, school bags etc (the list is endless!) If a toy / item is very precious to your child then
please encourage them to leave this at home.

Twitter
I try as often as I can to upload some snapshots of our learning to Twitter. We would love for you to follow us.

@KeirHardieMem