Primary 7

Welcome

Hello everyone and a very warm welcome to Primary 7! I am looking forward very much to working with your children in their final year at primary school. I know you will agree that P7 is a most important time in your child’s school career and my job with them is to enable  them to achieve everything they are capable of and to be fully prepared for the next step! If you have anything you need to ask, please send in a note with your child or alternatively, drop me an e-mail on nlkerrg1@glow.sch.uk. Here’s to a successful year and I look forward to meeting you all soon.

Mr Kerr, P7 Class Teacher

Homework

Homework folders will normally be used on TUESDAY each week, with returns due the following MONDAY. This gives a full week to complete any tasks. There will be a mixture of written and practical type tasks, in paper format and on our Teams page.

Our Topic

September/October—We are currently reading ‘Ghost Soldier’ by Theresa Breslin, set in Scotland during World War One, which the children are really enjoying. (Ask them to tell you about it!) This will lead us in to a closer study of The Great War 1914-1918. At the end of this study we will present our Class Assembly on Remembrance (hopefully on 11th Nov).

November/December—Our main focus will shift to ‘Our Wonderful World’ where will look at the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, the Industrial World and the Modern World.

These topics will give the children a wide range of experiences and extend their learning.

Rules and Values

As well as the school rules of Ready, Respectful and Safe, a class challenge has been set up based on the School Values—Honesty, Integrity, Inclusion, Respect.

I am also encouraging P7 to take on additional responsibilities around the classroom and around the school.

Twitter

I will try to post regular snapshots of our learning on Twitter. We would love for you to follow us @KeirHardieMem

Literacy and Numeracy

Literacy—After we complete our study of ‘Ghost Soldier’ we will move to a block of group novels—fiction and then non-fiction.

Spelling will continue at appropriate group levels and will focus on how words are put together and the rules (with exceptions). A range of active tasks is provided to ensure hands-on learning. Grammar and handwriting will run alongside each of these other important aspects of literacy.

Numeracy—again a practical approach is adopted to allow children to learn through discovery. We will focus on addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, as well as aspects of measure and shape.

Other Information

PE Days are Monday and Friday. Pupils can wear a school polo shirt and grey / black tracksuit bottoms or leggings on this day.

Pupils will be allowed to have a drink of water throughout the day. Flavoured juice can be used at interval and lunch but please only include water in bottles for during class time. Thank you.