Brendan Gallagher

Meet the candidates – Brendan Gallagher

Click here to watch Brendan’s video

Candidate Name Brendan Louis Gallagher
Proposed by (teacher) Mr Begley
Proposed by (Pupil) Brooke Gallacher
Seconded by Kirk Mcintosh
What you will bring to the role of Head Boy/Girl?

I feel my biggest asset to bring to the role of Head Boy is my understanding and fairness towards all pupils within the school. As captain of my football team I have developed the leadership skills needed to support, motivate and and work alongside my manager and teammates for the benefit of the team. I would be confident transferring these skills to my role as head boy working alongside my fellow students and teachers for the benefit of St Columba’s High school. I am a positive role model for younger students with consistently high attendance and involvement throughout the school, and understand the positive impact that engaging in school activities can bring to your time in St Columba’s. I am hoping to bring my personality across, and inspire my fellow pupils that if you work hard and work with staff, especially those who receive support from the ASN department that you can achieve your full potential here at St Columba’s. I have a confident personality and have effective communication skills and feel that i would be a positive and relatable ambassadorĀ  for the St Columba’s community. I am a keen musician , playing guitar, piano and singing regularly. I enjoy performing and feel the skills I have developed singing with NYCoS, Inverclyde Youth Choir and joining in local music sessions will give me the extra confidence needed to represent St Columba’s within the wider community. I have kept strong relationships with St Columba’s feeder school, volunteering to coach football after school at St Joseph’s Primary and work with Active Schools. I feel that I would be a valuable asset to St Columba’s pupil leadership team and hope that I can inspire fellow pupils that although academic studies are important, developing important life skills and positive relationships are vital to being a successful learner.

What will you try to achieve as Head Girl/Boy if you are elected?

My main aim would be to develop the mentoring project to support pupils mental health, especially in the lead up to exam diets, I would hope to work with staff to ensure there is a ‘safe space’ for pupils to access that is always open and with support from a member of staff or senior pupil who can offer support, guidance or information to anyone who needs it. I would work with sports leaders and staff to develop how to make sports more appealing to pupils who are more hesitant to try sports. I would like to introduce senior mentors within different departments. Senior pupils who have a specific talent or interest in subjects can offer guidance over lunchtimes, free periods etc developing senior pupils skills and giving younger pupils the chance to explore different subjects. I would like to set up a fundraising group who would organise events within school and the local community to raise funds for end of year trips for all pupils, to celebrate their hard work throughout the year.

How will you promote the ethos and values of our school?

I will continue to be a positive role model for my fellow pupils, representing St Columba’s with pride. I will conduct myself with respect and dignity for others. I will listen and work with staff and pupils and ensure the values of Inclusion, Faith, Perseverance andĀ  Ambition are at the heart of and are promoted everything the pupil senior leadership are involved in. I attend St Andrew’s Parish and am committed to developing the importance of Faith within our school community.