Skills Development Scotland (Careers)

Skills Development Scotland – what we do?

Across Scotland, we support individuals to build their career management, work-based and employability skills, throughout their career journey, from school, into further learning opportunities and employment.

We are able to use skills intelligence to help inform the decisions of people across Scotland, at all stages of their careers, so that they are well-placed to take up the opportunities arising within the economy.

We target delivery of this support to those who need it most, ensuring all individuals are enabled to achieve their full potential. We work with employers and employer groups on a national, sectoral, regional, local and individual basis; supporting them to recognise and articulate their current and future skills needs, and to engage with the skills system to help ensure it better meets those needs in the short, medium and longer term.

Skills Development Scotland (SDS) is the national skills body and we deliver Scotland’s careers service in schools, in centres, and online.

Careers services @ Port Glasgow High School

My name is Nicol Rhodes (School Careers Adviser) and have been the resident Careers Adviser for the past 4 academic terms. My role is to help your child develop their career management skills and guide them towards a positive destination, whether or not they leave in S4, S5 or S6.

A lot of pupils receive regular careers interviews, PSE talks, and guidance, and they can also self-refer at anytime to the school Careers Service.

We are encouraging all pupils to register with the award winning careers website My World of Work. This website has lots of functions on it to help pupils plan their career journeys.

In addition, I will be attending parents nights (S4/ S5 and S6) to ensure all pupils & parents are fully aware of the range of support services that Skills Development Scotland offer.

Please contact me on (01475) 715200 and ask for careers office at the school or alternatively email: Nicol.Rhodes@sds.co.uk

Thanks

Nicol

Inverclyde Council