Cycling Success!

Primary 7 achieved Bikeability level 2 during the summer term of Primary 6. This level gets you onto the roads, and able to deal with traffic such as cycling to school and other short journeys. Until we were ready for the real thing, we learned the rules of the road in the playground, using the painted road markings.

Once we were all competent, we ventured out with Inverclyde’s Road Safety Officers to a quiet road near our school.

Last week, we participated in a Inverclyde Cycling Competition at Lady Alice Primary. There were two pupils representing each of the Inverclyde Schools. We had great fun cycling through the mock road course.

photo 2

Before heading out into the rain to start the cycling, we completed a question sheet about road safety and cycling.

The course included traffic lights, a roundabout, junctions, slalom and a parked car. Our favourite was the roundabout because it was a new experience for us. Even though it was pouring , we still managed to complete it. It really improved our bike ability skills. The most challenging part was the junction as we had to cross a mock road that cars would have been on and move from one road position to another.

After both girls and boys had finished the test, everyone was excited to hear the results. Eventually, the results were announced. Andrew came second! We were so pleased!

photo 1

The cycling competition was a great experience and we would gladly do it again. Thanks to Inverclyde Phoenix Car Club for organising the competition!

photo 3

Andrew and Eve

11 thoughts on “Cycling Success!”

1. Hello Gourock Primary 7’s!
    It seems like you had lots of fun doing bikeability!
    Some people in our class do bikeability at school on a Thursday with Sam.
    Great pictures 🙂
    – Olivia P6/7 Kelloholm Primary.

2. Hi my name is Nikki and I go to Kelloholm primary I am also in p7.
    In our school we do Bikeability as well . Do you like Bikeability ?
    Also what is your weather like ? Our weather is terrible it is always raining !!!!!
    Do you like this experience of blogging? I do , and so does my class . : )

3. We are doing bike ability but it stopped and we are going to start again. Im going also it stopped because there were only about 2 people going but there’s more going after the holidays . 🙂

4. Hi Gourock primary
    We do some thing like bike ability which will start back up after the October holidays with Sam. Did you enjoy it?

5. We did bike ability but it stopped because there were only two people going . It is going to start again after the October holldays and they are more people going. 🙂

6. I like your class picture because you all look smart in your uniform and I hope you have fun doing your blog and also I hope you get a chance to look at the braw bloggers blog.

7. Well done Andrew and Eve for your achievement even though you had to do it in the pouring rain. It was a great way for you to set a good example for Gourock Primary and show all the cycling skills you learned during the lessons.