Earthquakes – learning log

Earthquakes

Above is a link to the PowerPoint we created on Earthquakes.

The skills I learned while presenting and creating this presentation were: team building, communication skills, research skills, listening skills and my ITC skills.

Working as a team is something that I sometimes struggle with. It can be time consuming and frustring trying to get people to meet up and practice. This task helped me to work with people I would not normally work with. This is something that will be important as I develop as a student teacher because every placement will be different and everyone has different teaching methods.

All these skills that I worked on while creating and presenting are important for my development as a teacher.

Voice management

As teachers our voice is our main teaching tool. It’s how we communicate with children throughout the day. It’s how we set rules and manage behave. Our tone and volume can tell children a lot about the message we are trying to portray (GRAD, 2017).

It is therefore important that we understand how to take care of our voice and other ways of communicating our message to children.

We should ease our voices into the day ahead this could be done by singing your favourite songs on the way to work.

Growing up I remember lots of teachers talking about having a sore throat and bot being able to talk. Being a student teacher I can now understand why this happens.

Classroom management and behaviour create a picture in my mind of an unruly class and a teacher shouting. Personally through experience of working in nurseries and after school groups I think there are better ways of managing behaviour than shouting.

One way of classroom management that helps our voice is:

Clap and clap back – this is were the teacher would clap a rythem to the class and they would have to clap back to show they are listening. This gets repeated until everyone is paying attention and listening.

Our voice is also important when teaching music as it is the one instrument that we all have.

Our breath acts as fuel for when we are singing and communicating.

Singing is something that I am not completely comfortable with but will give it a go with children. Resources such as ‘Choon Baboon’ and ‘Charanga’ are great for teachers. They help with lessons plans and act as a safety blanket for areas out with your comfort zone.

Using ‘Choon Baboon’ in our seminar showed me how to practice our breathing, warm up vocal chords and our facial muscles. All which are important for singing.

One song on ‘Choon Baboon’ was about dogs. It was catchy and taught the children exactly how to sing it.

Above is a shot clip of the song from ‘Choon Baboon’ about the dog.

We also learned a song about a penguin coming to tea. This song had actions and was a good game for a lesson starter.

A penguin came to tea.

Another part of music is learning to read a score sheet. This can be challenging for some children. Graphic scores is away of making it simpler. They are also visually stimulating.

A score is created with boxes, along the side is the sounds that have to be used and along the bottom is the time frame.

Graphic score with the theme of fireworks.

As a group of 6, during our seminar we created and performer our own graphic score using a variety of instruments.

Graphic score with the theme of Christmas.

My instrument was used to create Rudolfs foot steps.

Above is a shot clip of the sound created to symbolise Rudolfs foot steps.

As the sessions on music continue I find myself stepping out my comfort zone more and becoming more confident with various aspects of music.

References:

Charanga. (2017) Charanga musical school. [Online] Available: https://charanga.com/site/ [Accessed: 31 October 2017]

Choon Baboon. (2017) Choon Baboon. [Online] Available: http://choonbaboon.com/ [Accessed: 31 October 2017]

GTSC. (2017) Voice Management. [Online] Available: http://www.in2teaching.org.uk/hints-and-tips/View/952.aspx [Accessed: 31 October 2017]

Drama

“Through drama, learners have rich opportunities to be creative and to experience inspiration and enjoyment” (Scottish Government, 2004).

Out of the various concepts we have learnt about in drama tutorials my favourite is ‘voice in the head’. This is where during a drama a specific character would step forward and speak about their thoughts, feelings and their side of the story.  I feel confident using this concept and I feel that learners could get really involved in it.

References:

Scottish Government. (2004) Curriculum for Excellence: Expressive Arts. [Online] Available: https://www.education.gov.scot/Documents/expressive-arts-eo.pdf [Accessed:23 October 2017].

Making your body move.

“Dance – to move the feet and body rhythmically, esp in time to music” (Collins, 2017).

The word ‘dance’ is enough to overwhelm by body with the feeling of embarrassment and fear so when I realised that our fist tutorial of the day was dance I immediately wanted to head for the exit. Being creative, adventurous and outgoing with children is something I feel comfortable with but asking me to do a dance move in front of my peers is the opposite. Realising I was not the only one in my year group wanting to make a run for it made me feel a bit more at ease.

We played and discussed many games that could be used in an educational setting. A game I like to call ‘Copy Me’ was my favourite. This game involved everyone sitting in a circle, one person would start doing an action and the rest of the circle would copy, the person on the right of the person doing the action would start doing a new action and the circle would then copy the new action. This game continued until everyone had done an action. This game could be done with music in the background or without. I enjoyed this game as I felt that within a school setting some children will be less confident than others to participate in dance/movement lessons. This game was less frightening as you did not have to be the centre of attention or stand up. I feel this game would be a good starting point in building childrens confidence.

We then practiced and spoke about good ways to get children to participate in warm ups before taking part in a dance lesson. This was important because as teachers we are responsible for our pupils wellbeing. We discussed the various parts of our body and where our muscles and organs are found.

The area of the body that were to be labeled on to a body that we drew.

Our body. By being drawing a body and labelling it’s parts it has made it easier for me to remember the various parts of the body. This is a practical idea that can be done with many age ranges.

As a final activity we discussed the 10 movements/words that as educators are all we need to create a good dance lesson:

• Gesture
  • Balance
  • Hop
  • Kick
  • Jump
  • Roll
  • Slide
  • Turn
  • Twist
  • Hop

These moves are enough to teach children a choreographed piece of work and if children know how to do these moves then they can make up their own dances. Children are all individuals and each word will inspire a movement that varies from their peers.

Although at the beginning of the tutorial I was fearful of what the 2 hours had ahead by the end of it I was more insightful of how simple and exciting it can be to incorporate dance into the school day. The Curriculum for Excellence (2004) states that dance is beneficial to learners and allows learners to have “have rich opportunities to be creative and to experience inspiration and enjoyment”.

As a student teacher I feel these inputs will help me be a successful educator and that I will be able to reflect on my practice to make it better.

References:

Collins. (2017) Definition of ‘dance’. [Online] Available: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/dance [Accessed: 17 October 2017]

Scottish Government. (2004) Curriculum for Excellence: Social Studies. [Online] Available: https://www.education.gov.scot/Documents/social-studies-eo.pdf [Accessed:17 October 2017].

Print in the making

The arts can be integrated into multiple areas of the curriculum and this was made evident during the seminars I attended on the 3rd of October 2017.

The visual arts section focused on the painting; Windows in the West (1993) by  Avril Paton.  This painting was created using watercolours and paper. Paton (2017) took inspiration from a personal memory that she had of snow and the feeling it gave her. This painting is owned by City of Glasgow Galleries which makes it relevant to my environment. Living in the North of Glasgow it is not uncommon to see tenement housing.

During the seminar we used visual analysis to discuss the form, process, content and mood of the painting (Taylor, 1999). This particular print was very visually appealing and relevant. Paton (2017) uses a winters day as her inspiration and theme for this painting. Paton (2017) started painting the picture on the floor and it was a six month project. The content of the painting included observations of a building across from Patons’ home and her personal memories. Paton (2017) uses lots of straight lines and block colours.

An A4 print out of ‘Windows in the West’ by Avril Paton.

After a discussion we spoke about how we can create stories from prints and use prints as visual stimulus during literacy or drama lessons.

We used Patons’ (1993) work to create prints of our own. By focusing on a particular area of the painting we had the opportunity to explore the vast amount of detail in the painting. We used dynamic colours to create our prints. We discussed colour theory and the affect that colours can have on our eyes.

Print making stage 1.

Print making stage 2.

Print making stage 3.

While creating these prints I thought of how children could create stories from the prints they had made.

Our next seminar focused on drama. Personally I always enjoyed drama as a child and was part of various drama projects as well as attending and participating in the Scottish Youth Theatre on a weekly basis. As I got older this changed and my confidence shrunk which made me slightly apprehensive about this seminar.

Drama is a way for children to express themselves and see other peoples points of view. I understand that drama can be used in various areas of the curriculum such as literacy and history.

After participating in a few drama activities such as; a freeze frame. I realised that drama was not as scary and embarrassing as I had built it up to be in my head.

As future teachers we need to develop the character we want to portray in our school lives and I feel that the integrated arts module will help me with this.

References:

Paton, A. (1993) Windows in the West. [Watercolours on paper 48” x 60”] Glasgow. [Online] Available: https://avrilpaton.co.uk/prints/windows-in-the-west [Accessed: 3 October 2017]

Paton, A. (2017) Windows in the West. [Online] Available: https://avrilpaton.co.uk/prints/windows-in-the-west [Accessed: 3 October 2017]

Taylor, R. (1999) Understanding & Investigating Art. United Kingdom: Hodder Education.

Perfection

My memories of painting in my primary setting is sitting beside a friend and wishing my painting looked as good as theirs. As children grow they become more self-consious and concerned that their creation is accurate enough (McAuliffe, 2007) or that it’s not “perfect”. This word “perfect” is a word that I hate to hear in a classroom setting as no-one is perfect. We all have a different view point and imagination which means all our creations will be different in some way although this does not mean that any art creation is worse than another.

During a seminar on the 26.09.2017 we were given the opportunity to use various resources to create our own paintbrush. This was an example of paintbrushes that had been previously made.

Children throughout their lives compare constantly with their peers be this outside the school or in the classroom. As an educator it is our responsibility to help children achieve the best they can and to always motivate them to succeed. Enthusiasm is a must for teaching art in a classroom (Lancaster, 1990). Painting in the classroom setting usually starts by handing out paintbrushes however children can make their own paintbrushes. This not only adds a personal touch but means that all the marks that child makes will be different from their peers.

The Curriculum for Excellence (2004) provides a framework so every child can have equal educational opportunities. Using the CfE outcomes a lesson on children making their own paintbrushes can be devised. Giving children a variety of tools and resources allows them to let their creativity flow.

This was the first stage in creating my paintbrush. I tied wool onto the top of a stick.

This was my end result. My inspiration came from a memory of visiting an enchanted forest experience. If I was creating a lesson I would use this outcome from the CfE (2004):
I have the opportunity to choose and explore a range of media and technologies to create images and objects, discovering their effects and suitability for specific tasks. EXA 1-02a

We need to as educators teach children that its okay to not know what the outcome will be and it’s okay to be different (Talllis, 2017).

After we made our paintbrushes we were given the opportunity to use them to create a painting. I did not know how mine was going to turn out.
From top left to right; Painting stage 1, Painting end result.
From bottom left to right; Resource palette, My colour palette.

Another part of the arts is music. My experience of creating and discovering music throughout my primary and secondary education is neither positive or negative. I was given various opportunities to play many different instruments but never filled with confidence that I was playing them correctly. My favourite instrument to play is the keyboard, when I have time I enjoy trying to learn new songs and styles of music.

During our seminar we had the chance to play 3 different songs on the glockenspiel however we did not use conventional notation. We used Figurenotes (2017). Figurenotes (2017) are a type of musical notation that use colour and shape to show all the information that conventional notation would.

Top: Glockenspeil.
Bottom: Twinkle Twinkle written in Figurenotes (2017).

I found Figurenotes (2017) a really easy and enjoyable way of reading and playing music. I could understand how it could motivate and encourage children to want to participate in music lessons. I loved how it helps children progress to reading conventional notation and it restores my confidence that I would be able to teach music in an educational environment.

In relation to the CfE (2004) a lesson could be made to encourage children to attempt to play various instruments and create various rhythms using Figurenotes (2017).

This was my first attempt at playing Frere Jacques using Figurenotes (2017).

References:

Figurenotes. (2017) An intuitive way of reading music. [Online] Available: https://www.figurenotes.org/ [Accessed: 28 September 2017].

Lancaster, J. (1990) Art in the Primary School. London: Routledge.

McAuliffe, D. (2007) Fondation and Primary Settings. In Teaching Art and Design 3-11. (Edited by Sue Cox, Robert Watts, Judy Grahame, Steve Herne and Diarmuid McAuliffe) London: Continuum.

Scottish Government. (2004) Curriculum for Excellence: Expressive Arts. [Online] Available: https://www.education.gov.scot/Documents/expressive-arts-eo.pdf [Accessed: 28 September 2017].

Thomas Tallis School. (2017) The TALLIS Habits Pedagogy Wheel. [Online] Available: http://www.thomastallisschool.com/tallis-pedagogy-wheel-guide.html [Accessed: 28 September 2017].

Our Environment – learning log

Since I was born I have always lived in the north of Glasgow. Over the past few years the area has been developing and changing to suit the needs of its community. Many tenement buildings have been or are in the process of being demolished in order to build houses that have driveways or private gardens. A ten minute walk from my house would have took me to the Red Road Flats, these high rise flats were originally built to help the problems with unhygienic overcrowding in the local area however in 2015 all of these high rise flats were demolished. Most of the houses are semi-detached and located within small streets and cul-de-sacs. As there are three primary schools, a nursery and a secondary school all within a 5 mile radius to my house the majority of the roads have traffic calming measures and operate a 30mph speed limit. Stobhill hospital is the closest hospital which offers minor injuries and an out of hours GP service. There is a catholic church and a church of Scotland within walking distance. The church of Scotland has many social activities on throughout the week, such as; a community café and a community garden. There is one community centre which within it has a public library, the centre offers fitness classes such as Zumba and dance to a variety of ages.

Barmulloch is an area that suffers from a high rate of social deprivation and a lack of green space (Central Scotland Green Network, 2013). In 2013 money was offered to the area that would allow for regeneration. There is one large green space in which there is a pond, wildlife trail, childrens park and basketball/football area although this is here the park is not well lit which puts many people off from walking in it.Within my area only 3 bus services are available and unless you drive or are willing to walk this is the main transport link to the city centre. This can quite often cause problems in the winter months as the small streets are not gritted leading to bus delays and cancellations. Car parking is becoming an issue as more and more households have 2 or more cars. This can cause the air to become quite polluted. According to Air Quality in Scotland (2017) the air quality in my postcode is at level 3 which is classed as low.

The closest supermarket is Asda Robroyston which is roughly a 25 minute walk. This Asda is open 24 hours. The local shops consist of a hair dressers, two Chinese take-away restaurants, three Indian take-away restaurants, a Spar, a Post-Office, a C0-Op, a pharmacy and a butchers. These shops offer jobs to the local community and some take on pupils that wish to go on work placement in their secondary school years.

My area could be deemed to be peri-urban however the green space that there is is not maintained to a high standard and there are areas of unruly woodland.

During this task I learned that within my area there is a lot more green space than I originally thought. It is important that children learn what is around them and therefore there are many ideas that could allow a child to do this. Using the Curriculum for Excellence ( Scottish Government, 2004) a lesson plan can be devised. As a teacher you could take your class on a walk though their urban environment and on their return to the classroom the children could draw out a map detailing what they have just seen and discuss it with their peers (SOC 1-07a). A follow up lesson could be a visit to a building within the urban environment such as the community centre to enable children to learn about what activities and events take place.

During last weeks seminar we were asked to take part in various activities. In a small group I participated in a sensory walk. This made me open my mind to the environment around my university. There is a lot of green space within the grounds of my university and I explored and found areas I had not been to before. While on the walk my group noticed various plants and wildlife.

A view from our sensory walk. We could smell the fresh air, see the trees and leaves move in the wind and hear the water moving in the river.
Leaf markings from rubbings we took of leaves found on university grounds.

References:

Air Quality in Scotland. (2017) Latest Pollution Map. [Online] Available: http://www.scottishairquality.co.uk/latest/?postcode=G21+3HY&postcode-submit.x=0&postcode-submit.y=0 [Accessed: 19 September 2017].

Central Scotland Green Network. (2013) Red Road and Barmulloch Greenspace Study. [Online] Available: http://www.centralscotlandgreennetwork.org/delivering/project-archive/red-road-and-barmulloch-greenspace-study [Accessed: 19 September 2017].

Scottish Government. (2004) Curriculum for Excellence: Social Studies. [Online] Available: https://www.education.gov.scot/Documents/social-studies-eo.pdf [Accessed:19 September 2017].

Making Marks Make Sense

Children from an early age enjoy making marks (Matthews, 2003). Many theories have been comprised on children’s development however when talking about the arts eduction one theory is closely linked (McAuliffe, 2007). Work by Lowenfeld and Bittain (1987) describes 4 stages that can help educational practitioners engage and understand more about a child’s work. Although with times changing and children coming from various backgrounds and environments it is not as easy to simply put a child in a specific stage (McAuliffe, 2007). As we grow many of us loose touch with our imaginative and creative abilities however to a child a simple line on a piece of paper could be an intrepretation of their whole world, thoughts and feelings. That scribble that we may see as a mess could be a monster flying on a rocket ship to planet Mars.

Mark making in the early years (The scribble stage) . This drawing shows that the child has made rotational marks and that the pencil stays in contact throughout. The child is developing his fine and gross motor skills through art. The child is expressing something that comes naturally to him.

Being a creative person myself I find it upsetting that as adults many of us feel that drawings and creative pieces of work need to be “perfect” or represent something that we as adults understand and see in our lives.

As children develop they begin to focus on features and many have a fear of not being accurate (McAuliffe, 2007).

The gang stage. This child has focused on the many features and specific details on a fish. There is evidence of spatial perspective.

We also need to understand that as teachers we can incorporate the arts into various areas of the curriculum. Literacy and numeracy often take priority in educational environments however enabling children to engage in these subjects can be done by incorporating the arts into these areas. Giving children a story to read or a short passage from a piece of literature that they are studying and allowing them to doodle or draw both on or around that piece of writing allows children to interact with the document and express what they understand and feel without giving words the priority.

Interlinking literacy and art. This child has been multi modal and created a visual piece of work that has a short passage on it. Children can often express a theme related to literature through a drawing.

In most classrooms a child is asked to write a sentence and draw a picture about their sentence however what if as educators we allow children to express their understanding of literature through art.

A piece of literature that I annotated earlier in today’s lecture (19.09.17). Through doing this I understood how this could be beneficial in the classroom. Children can draw from the text feelings and themes and by literally drawing on the text they are more likely to engage and remember that piece of literature.

It is clear that the arts allow children to develop in all areas of the curriculum and no matter what sage of development a child is at there ‘mark making’ matters.

References:

Matthews, J. (2003) Drawing and Painting: Children and Visual Representation. 1st ed. London: SAGE publications.

The Unknown

Art is a way in which we can all express ourselves. We can express emotions, life events, circumstances and identity but it can also act as an outlet that allows us to explore who we really are.

The Tallis Habits Peadagogy Wheel (Thomas Tallis School, 2017) is a tool created by Thomas Tallis School. Previous to the integrated arts module I had never came across or heard of this tool. This tool enables educators to explore the arts across the curriculum and intertwine many of the curriculum areas. For me the tool provided me with confidence that I do not need to be afraid of the arts within an educational setting. That within the arts it is okay to not always know the outcome or the answer but to have an open mind towards uncertainty.

It is important that as educators we understand the importance of drawing and what it allows a child to do. Not only does drawing develop a childs fine motor skills but the marks they make are an interpretation of their world (Eisner, 2002). We must encourage mark making in the classroom just as much as we encourage handwriting.

References:

Eisner, E. (2002) The Arts and the Creation of Mind. 1st ed. USA: Yale University Press

Thomas Tallis School. (2017) The TALLIS Habits Pedagogy Wheel. [Online] Available: http://www.thomastallisschool.com/tallis-pedagogy-wheel-guide.html [Accessed: 13 September 2017]

Ideology and Prejudice

During todays lecture we looked at how prejudice and discrimination can take place within our society.

We discussed with our peers how prejudice can be seen in the modern world but also in history.

It is important as future educators that we understand what prejudice is and why it occurs. As when people act on their prejudice it becomes discrimination. As children we have ‘learned prejudices’ that mainly come from our parents and upbringing. It is important as a future primary teacher that I have enough knowledge surrounding this topic in order to teach children that although we all come from various backgrounds, cultures and nationalities we should all be treated with dignity and respect.

I was very interested in learning about our ‘Micro and Macro world’ and how this links to society and culture. After discussions in class I know feel I have a greater depth of understanding of the theories surrounding ideology and prejudice.

Image result for prejudice