Experience

The Arts

During todays seminar it was interesting to hear everyone’s take on what arts they have seen during their school placements. Many people had seen little or no arts lessons within their school and the people that did mentioned that a variety of specialists had came into the school to teach an aspect of the arts.

I feel that this module was set up to equip us as future teachers on how to overcome the many barrier that we can be faced with when trying to integrate the arts throughout the curriculum.

Barriers:

• Time
  • Funding
  • Lack of knowledge and understanding
  • Teachers not feeling confident
  • Behavioural management during loud lesson

From my experience in placement I have seen a wide range of resources that can be used to implement arts lessons and the childrens work is shown value and placed on a wall. Children are allowed to express their planning of a literacy story in the form of a drawing. I feel this helps children to get their message across as not all children have the ability to express themselves fully in the spoken or written word. Art can help children to feel less pressured as the notion of ‘accuracy’ is lessened. As a future teacher I understand the benefits of incorporating art throughout the curriculum. Music can help children to learn number sequences, drama can make a topic more realistic, dance can be incorporated into science to express the movement of a seed transitioning to a flower and art can make story planning simpler. These are only a few examples of cross-curricular work that I plan to do as a teacher.

References:

British Council, (2011). Art in the classroom. [Online] Available: https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/art-classroom [Accessed: 14 November 2017]