Evocative Object

Our introduction to the module ‘Expressive Arts and Culture’ was one filled with refection’s and emotions.

We had to discuss with our peers an evocative object that we had brought.

EVOCATIVE – “Bringing strong images, memories, or feelings to mind.” (Oxford University Press, 2018).

EVOCATIVE OBJECT “We think with the objects we love; we love the objects we think with” (Turkle, 2011).

My evocative object was my older brothers bus pass. My older brother passed away two years ago due to a drug addiction. This object to a passer by would mean nothing but to me it floods my thoughts with many memories and emotions. When discussing and listening to my peers about our evocative objects was extremely interesting and powerful.

This is my evocative object.

Emotions can be developed, embraced, and explored through many modes within the Arts. As a future educator I think it is vital that we encourage children within our classrooms to discuss and explore their emotions and the objects that they hold close.

Our evocative objects are to inspire us to create our own concrete poetry.

Concrete Poetry – “concrete poetry creatively operates with space as an additional expressive category by arranging words in non-linear patterns across the page.”  (Poetry beyond text, 2018).

To get our minds into a creative space we were encourage to make anything with only pipe cleaners. It was to encourage the unknown as the outcome of what I was making was not clear.

This was my end result. The task definitely encouraged me to open up my creativity.

The unknown is something that as an adult I sometimes struggle with however as a future educator it is vital that I encourage children to create, act, dance, write, and draw without knowing what the end result will be. That there is power in the unknown.

Reflecting on todays class I feel overcome with powerful emotions. I am positive that through these sessions I will be able to explore the thoughts that my evocative object brings and create my own version of concrete poetry. It will also enable me to build on the skills needed to describe the visual arts.

References:

Oxford University Press. (2008) Definition of ‘Evocative’. [Online] Available: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/evocative [Accessed: 11.01.18].

Poetry Beyond Text. (2018) Concrete Poetry. [Online] Available: http://www.poetrybeyondtext.org/concrete-poetry.html [Accessed: 11.01.18].

Turkle, S. (2011) Evocative Objects. USA: MIT Press Books.