Mrs R Johnstone – Fiddle/violin & woodwind

” I started music lessons on the recorder & violin at the age of 7 and when I went to secondary school I also took up the Oboe. After leaving school I studied music for 2 years at Napier Polytechnic (now Napier University) and then completed a music degree course, specialising in the final year in instrumental teaching, at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music & Drama (now know as the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland).

After teaching in & around Glasgow and for West Dunbartonshire Council for 10 years my family and I moved to Lewis in 2004. Since then I have been involved in various music projects, I worked for 6 years as a support for learning assistant and then returned to instrumental music teaching in schools in 2018.  As well as teaching I also work as project co-ordinator for the Education department’s Dileab project as well as Music Development Officer for the Comhairle’s Instrumental Music Service.  I love my job as it is so wide & varied and no two days are the same. I enjoy working with our young people and helping to shape their musical education and experiences.”

Mrs Johnstone teaches fiddle/violin & woodwind (flute, clarinet, saxophone, recorder) in the following schools:

• Sir E Scott School
  • Laxdale School
  • Tong School
  • Stornoway Primary School
  • Lionel School

rjohnstone1q@gnes.net

Mrs Johnstone is currently seconded to e-Sgoil.

During this time her teaching remit is being covered by Mr N Johnstone (violin/fiddle) and Mrs D Woods (woodwind)