Children at Tolsta School follow a curriculum which aims to embrace the ethos, values and principles of ‘Curriculum for Excellence’ whilst acknowledging the place of the school within the community. In doing so, we aspire to provide inclusive, broad and challenging educational experiences for our children, both in Gaelic and in English from Sgoil Araich to P7.
As well as providing a broad education that offers depth, challenge and enjoyment, we want our curriculum to focus on:
- Raising attainment in Literacy and Numeracy.
- Understanding the culture and history of our village and its place in the wider Lewis community.
- Promoting Gaelic language and culture in Gaelic and English classes.
- Providing learning and teaching opportunities which foster a sense of belonging in the traditions of our local community
- Using the landscape and rich environmental resources which surround the school to enhance learning.
- Instilling shared values and a positive ethos.
- Involving partner agencies in the promotion of children’s health and wellbeing.
- Making links with parents and the wider community
In addition, we aspire for the curriculum at Tolsta School to:
- Encourage involvement and engagement from all children.
- Set high expectations and encourage pupils to recognise and celebrate their own and others successes and achievements within and out with the school.
- Meet the needs of all pupils and provide appropriate support to all children to reach their full potential.
- Instil an ethos of confidence, success, respect, responsibility and achievement.
- Provide children with the skills needed for learning, life and work.
- Provide meaningful opportunities for children to work with a range of partners.