P3A 9.11.18

We have been discussing how to live a healthy lifestyle. (Elle)

It is important to have a happy attitude and laugh a lot. (Warren)

We must all try to keep fit by going to football, gymnastics, dancing, swimming or other sports. (Evan)

To be healthy you need to eat a balanced diet. I like to eat bananas, apples, cucumber and carrots. (We have also been learning where to put commas when we’re writing a list) Lauren

I think it’s important to have a good sleep, so I go to bed early on a school night. (Molly)

We enjoyed writing this week. My story was about going into a pyramid and finding treasure but also a mummy! ( Heather)

I got lost in a pyramid. It was dark and I slipped on some sand on to a lever which opened the case of gold. (Tia)

In Maths, the Spheres have been improving their multiplication skills. I am busy learning the two and the four times tables. (Bruce)

The Cylinders and Spheres have been learning about 3D shapes and their properties. We have been looking at 3D shapes in our environment.

You can see cones at the ice-cream shop and cylinders at the shops. They sometimes hold soup. My fridge is a cuboid. (Dylan)

P3b – Our New Topic

This week we chose our new topic – we are going to be learning all about Scottish food! We have started by exploring lots of different Scottish dishes and finding out what their ingredients are. We found out that cullen skink is made out of smoked haddock, potatoes and onions, and that shortbread is made with sugar, butter and flour. Next, we are going to learn about where all of these ingredients come from.

We had lots of questions about how Scottish food is made.
Daryn asked, “Where did all of the ingredients for shortbread and porridge come from?”
Harris asked, “How is the pastry for steak pie put together?”
Ryan asked, “How do they put the porridge oats in a box?”
Charlotte asked, “How do you make haggis, neeps and tatties?”
Lucy asked, “How is cullen skink put together?”
Olivia asked “What are some other Scottish foods?”
Isla said “Lots of the foods come from an island called Islay! That’s like my name!”
Alfie wondered, “Where was the first place haggis was made?”
Becki asked “Who was the first person to try all of these Scottish foods?”
Zakir asked “Was shortbread made in 1984?”
Ross asked “Do tatties grow in farms in other countries?”
Aisha asked, “How do get tatties into different shapes?”

We are going to try and answer lots of these questions during our topic time this term!

Primary 3A are enjoying their learning.

This week I have enjoyed using the Comprehension Box. I like to try to get the questions right and mark the answers myself. My favourite text so far is ‘Why does a Zebra have Stripes’   (Jessica)

I love the multiple choice questions. I enjoyed reading ‘How the Elephant got its Trunk’ (Cara)

The comprehension box is fun. I liked reading ‘Green Spit’ (Sam)

I like to be independent and mark my own work. We put the scores on a table at the back of our Literacy jotter. (Bruce)

I like using all the different cards and marking my answers. I enjoyed reading ‘Floating Egg Tricks’ (Leaah)

I really like doing comprehension activities. I really liked ‘Big Elephants and Small Mice’ (Bella)

I enjoyed hearing different versions of   Little Red Riding Hood and then   writing my own version. I like having a bad ending for the wolf! (Isla)

In my story the woodcutter bashed the wolf on the head! (Hollie)

I loved writing about Little Red Riding Hood. At the end the woodcutter chops down the wolf! (Harry)

In maths we were learning odd and even numbers and how to make patterns with them. It is good fun. (Luca Fi)

In PE, Mr Judge has been teaching us stamina skills. We played lots of different games including Octopus Tig (Eleanor) We were doing all sorts of games in the gym hall like tig and jumping (Evan) Outdoors I enjoyed Fortnight tig (Luca Fr)

I’m really enjoying the Ancient Egyptian topic. I like to work with my partner to answer questions. Yesterday I found lots of information about Egyptian gods. (Elle)

P3b – Maths blog

This week we have been trying out some new maths games and have been doing lots of number work in our groups. We have been improving our mental maths skills by playing around the world, catch the calculation and splat – we all enjoyed this a lot! We have also been working on our understanding of place value, which has helped a lot with chimney addition. After the October holidays, we are going to use this knowledge in our group work.

Lucy said, “I enjoyed doing place value.”

Daryn said, “I liked using the play-doh.”

Habiba said “I enjoyed making a magic triangle.”

Rosie said, “I liked playing around the world.”

Ross said, “I liked playing catch the calculation.”

P3 A

• This week in Maths we have been learning about subtraction and how we can exchange tens into units to help us. We carried out lots of practical activities to help us with our learning. (Leaah)
  • We having been trying hard to improve the presentation of all our written work. We are now much better at laying out all our calculations neatly in our numeracy jotter.
  • In our Resilience lesson we heard a story about Beatrice who never made mistakes. However one day she did make a mistake when she was at a talent show. (Elle)

She picked up pepper instead of salt for her juggling act. (Emilia)

The hamster sneezed and the water balloon fell on top of her head! (Cara)

She looked up at the hamster on top of her head and started to laugh.

Everybody in the audience laughed with her. (Jessica)

She realised then that it was ok to make mistakes.

She went ice skating with her friends and wasn’t afraid to fall over. (Bella)

We talked about times we made mistakes and how often we learned from these mistakes.

• We were very happy today when Mrs McGuigan gave us 10 minutes extra playtime for being one of the quietest classes in Assembly. (Warren) We have all been working hard on our good manners and have been remembering to show respect to everyone in the school community. (Evan)

Mrs Wilson is delighted with all our hard work and very good behaviour. ( Eleanor)

P3A

Thank you so much to everyone who came along to our assembly on Friday morning. We enjoyed sharing our learning with you all.

I have learned lots of facts about owls. E MacK

I liked preforming in front of the whole school. ES

We all worked really hard to learn our words. LM

I liked singing the Owl song. HM

We really enjoyed maths week. We now know so much about fractions.

I made a fraction wall. It shows halves, quarters and one whole.  LF

I made a pizza showing halves. I put peperoni on one half and cheese on the other half. WS

I divided my pizza into quarters. I put cheese on one quarter, mushrooms on one quarter and peperoni on one quarter. I’m going to put peppers on the last quarter. EC

Most of us thought that the Mysterious Maths Menace was Miss David!

We enjoyed the visit from our families on Tuesday afternoon. Mrs Wilson is looking forward to seeing everyone again at Parents Night.

P3A 07.09.18

We have been busy practising our lines for our Class Assembly next Friday. We are going to learn an owl song to sing to everyone. We know lots of interesting facts about owls and some really funny owl jokes!

We all love maths in Primary 3A!

The Sphere Maths group have been learning to tell the time using quarter past and quarter to. The Prisms and Cylinders are getting faster at saying their number facts. They have also carried out lots of addition and subtraction calculations.

We are making posters to show how we help ourselves to feel better when we are scared or nervous about something.

I was nervous when I started my new drama class. I felt better when I made some new friends (LS)

I am scared to go to the Dentist. I think about my friends to make me feel better. (H McD)

I am scared of heights. I feel better if I don’t look down but once I’ve done it I feel great! (L MacK)

I was nervous of being in the Pupil Council. Once I knew there was another P2 there, it was fine. (HJ)

I am scared of ambulances. I stay still and this makes me feel better. (H S)

We are enjoying PE both indoors and out in the muga. We are learning lots of new skills e.g. throwing, catching, balancing, controlling our movements and working together.

P3b – The River Nile

This week we started our Ancient Egypt topic. The first thing that we have been learning about is The River Nile. We found out that the river would flood once a year which helps crops to grow. We also found out that bricks were made using mud from the Nile. The river was also useful for catching fish to eat.

Isla said, “I learnt that boats went down the Nile to trade pottery for food.”

Ryan said, “the pyramids were made out of limestone.”

Habiba said, “they grow crops near The River Nile.”

Harris said, “they used the river for transport.”

Next week we are looking forward to learning more about Ancient Egyptians.

Primary 3A

We’ve had another busy week in P3A.

We are still enjoying our class novel and are looking forward to telling everyone all about owls at our Assembly.

I have learned that although barn owls have good hearing you can’t see their ears. (E McK)

I know that barn owls sleep during the day and hunt at night. (BMcL)

Barn owls have a heart shaped ruff on their faces. (EO’G)

We enjoyed our writing lesson this week. We learned about similes and used them to make lots of comparisons.

Here are some examples:

I am as slow as a snail climbing a wall. (J U)

I am as slow as a crawling ant. (B Mc L)

I am as quick as a peregrine falcon flying across the sky. (BL)

I am as large as a giant climbing up the beanstalk (L Mc C)

I am happy like a hamster on his wheel. (ES)

We had Mrs Duggie for Music on Tuesday.

We practised keeping a steady beat while singing. ( Listen listen here I come Someone special gets the drum) LMcK

We have to practise the beat while shopping with our families. We will show you at the shops! (I C)

This is the first week where our special person gets to talk to the class about their interests and their favourite possessions. We have filled in a trophy for W to tell him how much we know and like about him. Another person will be selected next week.

Our Rights – P3b

This week we have been learning about our rights. We have learnt that we have the right to play, to be warm, to have an education and to be cared for. We also made a poster about our wants and needs.

Ava said, “I’d like to learn more about our rights.”

Rosie said, “our rights are help us to be safe.”

Edward said, “we have the right to play.”

Dylan said, “we have a right to learn.”

Zara said, “we have a right to be cared for.”

Olivia said, “I thought it was really fun.”

Alfie said, “can we learn more about education?”