Time Capsules!

Hello!

As always, it has been a busy couple of weeks in Primary 4A. Last week, we were learning about time capsules and their significance in historical events. In Comprehension, we read a story about a girl who buried a time capsule in her back garden. She thought very carefully about each item she put in and how those items could tell a story to the person who find it in the future. Since we are at a very significant moment in history right now, we designed, made and buried some time capsules of our own. Some popular items included coins, homemade jewellery, “about me” pages, newspapers and masks! Here are some of our time capsules:

In Expressive Arts, we also learned about sound design. We learned how different objects are created to make the sounds we hear in movies. We even came up with our own sound designs. Here is Molly’s sound design:

Molly’s Sound Design Video

Here is what Primary 4A have enjoyed learning on Google Classroom and at home this week:

“I have been learning how to guess the number using clues.”

“I learn in maths.” 

“I’ve learnt about synonyms in spelling and I also learnt how to play a new piece on the piano.”

“I have learned Area and I love doing Maths.”

“I have learned how to play the guitar and made two songs!”

“I have learned how to guess  the number with a lot of complicated clues. I also learned about time differences in different countries. My favourite part of the week was mindful colouring.”

“I enjoyed playing vets at home when I pretend some of my toys are hurt.”

“I have got better at my angle work.”

“I’ve got better at  my times tables.”   

“I have made cards for my nana and grandad and my granny and grandad.”

“I am much better at Area and I do a karate class on Zoom.”

“I am practising my times tables and getting better at them.”

“I have enjoyed doing Maths and Sumdog and getting to play with my dogs more.”

“I have been getting better at Area in Maths and practising the ukulele.”

“I have been revising my Maths and getting better at it.  I revised hundreds, tens and units.”

Well done for another great week Primary 4!

Getting Creative on Google Classroom

Hello!

Primary 4A have been hard at work on Google Classroom. This week, we finished our African research projects, which we have done an excellent job of.  We found out a wealth of interesting information about different African countries, including sports, climate, music and culture.  Here is a fantastic video from Lexi on Sierra Leone:

As well as this, we also learned about the Gule Wamkulu dancers of Malawi and made some great African inspired masks.  Here are some of our masks:

Displaying 13 May 2020 at 10:16 Displaying African Mask 2.png Displaying African Mask 3.png Displaying African Mask 5.png

Here is what else our learners have enjoyed this week:

“I am learning how to do a backflip on the trampoline.”

“I have learnt to do art more and I have gotten much better at it!”

“I have learnt how to show depth in a picture using 3d shapes and shading.”

“I enjoyed the beat the teacher on Kahoot and I like how I am getting much better at my drawing. I really enjoyed learning about the Pacific Garbage patch and all of the other exciting things that we did.”

“I have enjoyed doing the landscape picture of Berk.  I have learnt about the plastic problem in the Pacific ocean. I liked learning about Egypt.” 

“I have learned to multiply big numbers together by long multiplication and I learned how to shade in art. I also learned a lot about the Pacific Garbage Patch and the differences between Africa and Scotland.” 

“I am going on 10 kilometre bike rides.” 

“I learned how to draw in 3D and I went a really long walk with my mum.”

“I learned to do a depth picture and my brother taught me what to do.” 

“I had so much fun learning about Africa – especially Sierra Leone and what I learned about my friend Abu and his country and I hope you did too. I have got my video up above if any of you want to see it again. I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed making it.”

“I have enjoyed doing beat the teacher on Kahoot and I really want to do it again.”

“I have gone all the the way around the block without touching my handle bars.”

I have enjoyed taking walks around Newton Mearns with my dad, my brother and sister.  It is good talking with them and sometimes I go past my friends’ houses.  We go on walks everyday.  In school, I like Kahoot because it is a really fun way to work in a little competition!”

Well done for another great week Primary 4A!

P4A On Google Classroom

Hello!

It is been another busy week in the P4A Google Classroom. We began our research project on Africa, which we will be working on for a couple of weeks. In Science, we undertook a STEM Challenge to design a paper rollercoaster. We have been learning about our class novel The Boy Who Grew Dragons in reading this week. We even used the book to try a little drama. We put Miss Gourlay to work with a Kahoot Quiz, where we tried to beat the teacher in mental maths! It has been a great week. Here is what P4A think:

“I learned some more division and literacy. In literacy I did a wordsearch and I also learned how to grow some more words. Like resign, redesign, campaigned, gnaw and gnome. In division I have also been learning how to carry over different numbers. I enjoyed the Kahoot quiz.”

“I did some Kahoot quizzes and it was really fun! I wish that the schools did not close down like they did but we can still do school on a device. In maths the rectangles were learning about factors and did some tests on factors, it’s fine that school did close down because we are always going to be supportive no matter what. I liked the word search. It was very fun but all of them were educational.   :)”

“I enjoyed all the work and what I liked from it was when I had to make the milkshake and I had to choose out of Starbucks and something else but I can’t remember what it was and I chose Starbucks. I put Nesquik and milk and stirred it and I love PE with Joe Wicks on Friday. I like to dress up like him. My dad also likes to help me if I’m stuck. We played a game when we were doing the word search who could find the last word the quickest. I won who could find the last one quickest and in Maths we did the questions together and I was singing the songs for the show.” 

“I have enjoyed doing the maths and literacy, although some of the maths questions were hard. I like doing P.E with Joe Wicks #helookedcrazyasScoobyDoo!!!”

“I enjoyed maths this week. We were learning about factors. Also, I enjoyed literacy when we were learning about silent u words.”

“I enjoyed doing Art and Literacy. I’ve  also been learning about factors in Maths. I like doing Kahoot quizzes and working at Maths!”

I enjoyed my Maths about factors. I love problem solving. Also I enjoyed Kahoot because I beat the teacher. Silent U words were good. I also loved my joe wicks this week.”

“I enjoyed Kahoot because I beat the teacher and I really liked the maths problem solving and learning how to use factors and factor rainbows. I also did Joe wicks this week.”    

“I enjoyed The Boy Who Grew Dragons because the boy found a dragon fruit. It was good.”

“I have been enjoying doing IDL and Art especially that World War II  poster that I still need to finish and post on google classroom.”    

“I have enjoyed learning factors and I enjoyed being a character from The Boy Who Grew Dragons”     

Displaying roller.jpg.        Displaying 20200421_121149.jpg   Some of our fabulous rollercoasters!

Hard at work!

Hello!

Our Primary 4s have been hard at work again this week, showing lots of excellent learning on Google Classroom. We started reading our new class novel, The Boy Who Grew Dragons. For Guided Reading, we summarised what we had read so far and made our own book covers. With our book covers, we used our imaginations to think of what we would love to be able to grow in our gardens!

Displaying Luca's front cover.jpg  Displaying IMG_20200331_121548427.jpg

In Music, we have been learning about the C scale and working on our ability to recognise the notes. For this, P4A used Google Chrome Music Lab to learn to play familiar songs. They then used their knowledge of the C scale to create their own songs. You can hear some of our examples here:

• https://musiclab.chromeexperiments.com/Song-Maker/song/5265157123997696
  • https://musiclab.chromeexperiments.com/Song-Maker/song/5695007983927296

In Art, we had a LOT of fun recreating the work of famous artists. We tried to find props around our home, to recreate famous works of Art. We had some fantastic ideas!

As well as our classwork, we have also been sharing lots of our own home projects, which has included a lot of baking, cooking and smoothie making!

Displaying IMG_0059.JPG   Displaying 91288403_217379299537694_5610694045677387776_n.jpg  Displaying 836B0C7E-6B13-4A8A-BAD7-D7D7F036F73A.jpeg

Well done P4A for another excellent week!

Week 1 of Google Classroom – P4b

P4b have done a brilliant job of navigating round Google Classroom this week.  We have enjoyed having our daily check-ins with our 10:30 chats and debates and sharing all of our creations on the stream with our peers.

This week we have been growing words with silent letters and practising our spelling through quizzes, crosswords and a teacher video dictation.  In writing, we have continued with non-fiction features and persuasive language by creating a leaflet to advertise regular hand washing.

In maths we have been practising multiplying, dividing, adding and subtracting through Sumdog, Google quizzes, Beat Google Nest video tasks and problem solving activities.

In Science, we recapped that vibrations are what make sound and carried out experiments to show this.  Some of us then made our own musical instruments as evidence.

In Expressive Arts, we continued practising 3 of our show songs (which we are now getting very good at) and enjoyed learning to draw a sunset pier to develop our skills using the visual elements, tone, colour and pattern.

Our task within Social Studies this week was favoured by many.  We have been learning about WW2 so made an Anderson Shelter.  Some people said they liked this because it was crafty and they liked using different materials.  Some of us used Lego or Duplo, others used recycled packaging and many people opted to use household items like pillows, blankets and clothes horses to create a human-sized shelter.  All were very unique and imaginative!

These are just SOME of the many activities we have taken part in throughout the week.  We have also been drawing rainbows to put in our windows to spread hope and happiness in our streets, exercising by walking, running, cycling and participating in Joe Wicks workouts and enhancing our life skills by helping around the house hoovering, cooking and sock pairing.

Miss Murchie – “Well done P4b.  You have made a wonderful start to using Google Classroom this week and I look forward to seeing what you say, write, make and do next week.  Thank you to parents/carers and sub-school teachers for all their help and support too.”

Google Classroom Superstars!

What an interesting week we have had! Primary 4 have been busy getting to work on their Google Classroom assignments. We have been busy posting assignments, replying to comments, helping each other and also, posting some independent projects we have been working on at home. For example, making cupcakes, lava lamps and spaceships! Well done P4A!

Displaying spaceship.jpg  Displaying lava lamp.jpg  Displaying F5EB686A-4998-4241-8451-8AB6CEBA9FA7.jpeg.

We have been carrying on our topic of the History of Newton Mearns by learning a little about how Scotland was affected by the Blitz during WW2. We found out that “Blitz” means lightning in German, which is how the Blitz got it’s name, due to the sudden nature of the attack. We learned about places near to Newton Mearns that were badly affected due to the many factories that were targeted during the bombings. We even learned about and built air raid shelters! Some people used lego, whilst others made some robust shelters out of chairs and cushions!

We continued our theme of World War 2 in Art, where we designed our own WW2 posters based on slogans from the war:

Displaying 90643064_675210433229926_2190791572772093952_n.jpgDisplaying WIN_20200327_08_24_52_Pro.jpg     Displaying FB45002C-F18A-4EB3-9F18-38E8B618C540.jpeg.   Displaying 26 Mar 2020 at 16:31

In Science, we continued our knowledge of Sound and Vibrations by conducting experiments. We used a spoon, some string and a solid objects to see how different sounds can travel through solid objects. When we tapped the spoon off of a solid surface, we found that it made a “pinging” sound, which vibrated through the string and into ours ears. Some people even said it sounded like a musical note!

We also started reading our new class read aloud: “The Boy Who Grew Dragons” by Andy Shepherd. We have read two chapters so far and can’t wait to read more. We think the dragon is going to cause a lot of trouble!

As well as all of this hard work, our class has been taking time to spread some joy in our community by designing rainbows and putting them in our windows.

Displaying 709EDFB5-DD78-48C6-9F44-0F61D79819E0.jpeg

Check back next week for more great work! Well done Primary 4!

P4’s Perfect Props in Preparation for Super Show

P4 are putting on a show on 31st March and 1st April about WW2.  It is called Treachery at Traitor’s Quay. It’s about children during World War 2 evacuating from Glasgow to Largs.  There is a German spy and everyone is trying to find out WHO IT IS!  We have been practising many songs and we hope you enjoy the show.

As we have a show coming up very soon, we have been doing some artwork to make props.  Some of us wrote and designed postcards and to make them look a bit old, we dipped teabags in water and dabbed it on to turn it a peachy/ brown colour.  Some of us also scrunched up the postcards to make it look creased and old.  We also made ‘tin’ hats for the air-raid wardens and we did this by using paper mache.  When the newspaper has dried, we will pop the balloons and paint our hats a browny/goldy colour.  After that, we will use string or ribbon for the strap.  Another group made gas mask boxes by folding 2 pieces of paper and making cuboids.  We will add a strap to them for the evacuees to carry.

An exciting visitor!

Today, we had a very exciting visitor! Holly came form the SSPCA (Scottish Societry for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). She taught us a lot about the animals that she helps, both pets and wild animals! We learned that one of the most common animals Holly sees is pigeons BUT she also helps a lot of seals. We were very surprised by that! We took part in a workshop to learn about how to understand animal emotions and behaviour. To do this, we got to do some coding! We were given an emotion (happy, sad, scared) and we had to code our cats to behave in that way. For example, if a cat is scared, it might move more slowly, so we coded our cats to move slowly and go in 180, 90 or 360 degree turns. When our cat was angry, we coded it to move very quickly and make fast turns! We had so much fun and learned a lot about how to care for animals along the way. Thanks Holly!

Sound Waves

In Science, we have been learning about sound. This week, we were learning what happens to a sound, the further away it gets. We measured distances up to 4 metres and then tried to communicate a message to our group. We discovered that the further away we were, it was difficult for our group to hear. So, we made a cup telephone to see if it would work. We took two cups and measured the string to 4 metres. Then we spoke the message into our cup. We were amazed to find that the sound travelled along the string as vibrations and it could be heard in the other cup! When we were talking, we felt the string and we could even feel it vibrating! Sound is carried by vibrations. Objects in our environment can absorb the sound which is why it is difficult to hear when the sound is further away. We love to do experiments!

In IDL, we have been learning about the History of Newton Mearns. We had great fun researching artefacts that we might have found in a home in Newton Mearns during the war. We were surprised to find out that some people used to use a chamber pot because they did not have a toilet in their house. We were also surprised that people had to heat their iron before using it because it wasn’t electric. The artefacts were very interesting, especially using a mangle to dry your clothes. We would all like to try that!

We had a great time celebrating World Book Day. We have been learning about non-fiction texts. We have also been reading our gripping class read-aloud, To the Lighthouse by Cristy Burne. We designed adverts for the book, with what we thought were the best parts! We then selected books on EPIC and read our preferred books with a reading partner. Happy World Book Day!

P4b Spring Poetry

Today in Literacy, we were writing poetry about Spring.  Some people included alliteration and adjectives to make the poem more interesting and descriptive.  P4b also focused on trying to make their poetry rhyme. Some rhyming structures are AABB, ABAB, ABBA or AAAA.  We also tried to include similes, onomatopoeia and thoughts and feelings.

9 beautiful rabbits eating orange carrots, Flying past were colourful parrots. 5 fluffy chicks playing in the grass, Someone picked them up and it was a little lass.