Learning in Health and Wellbeing ensures that children and young people develop the knowledge and understanding, skills, capabilities and attributes which they need for mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing now and in the future. Learning through Health and Wellbeing enables children and young people to:
- make informed decisions in order to improve their mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing
- experience challenge and enjoyment
- experience positive aspects of healthy living and activity for themselves
- apply their mental, emotional, social and physical skills to pursue a healthy lifestyle
- make a successful move to the next stage of education or work
- establish a pattern of health and wellbeing which will be sustained into adult life, and which will help to promote the health and wellbeing of the next generation of Scottish children.
It also enables some to perform at high levels in sport or prepare for careers within the health and leisure industries.
Education Scotland state: “Children and young people who feel cared for and valued are much more likely to be happy and do well in life. Children who know themselves well and have self-respect are more likely to be resilient and strong, cope with change and challenge in life, and make good choices. We want all children and young people to feel safe and secure and be able to work in a supportive environment that promotes respect.”
Health and Wellbeing promotes confidence, independent thinking and positive attitudes and dispositions. It is a responsibility of every teacher to contribute to learning and development in this area. Building the Curriculum 1
At St Ninian’s High School, Health and Wellbeing is evident across the curriculum. Here are some examples:
At Assemblies – See individual Year Group websites for the Assembly presentations.These can be accessed through the main school website.
Extra-curricular activities in a range of sporting, musical, creative and spiritual activities – Extra-Curricular Programme 2015-16
School Trips – Rome, Salamanca, Ardeche Watersports, S2 French Ski Trip, London, Valencia, Belgium, Beijing, Auschwitz, Cern, Lochgoilhead, Carfin, Culzean Castle, Kelvingrove Art Gallery, and many more (details on the school website).
Focus of the Week – Focus of the Week