Science Department – Update

Primary 7

P7 pupils have been visiting us recently and in Science have been learning about safety in the lab, including how to light and use Bunsen burners safely.

S1

S1 have recently looked at risks to the developing embryo. They have also created leaflets that wouldn’t look out of place in a doctor’s waiting room:

embryo-leaf-2 embryo-leaflet

S2

For the past 6 weeks, S2 have been working on their Micro-organisms topic, where they were learning how to grow and handle micro-organisms safely.  They have also been learning about some of the main disease-causing microbes and, following some individual research, will be producing information posters about a disease of their choice. 

Over the past 6 weeks the SNAG group have being taking part and creating the following delicious dishes:

Spaghetti Bolognese

Chicken and pineapple stirfry

Vegetable pizza

Tuna or Chicken toasted wrap

Pesto, cheese and tomato toasties

On Monday, Mrs Cuthbertso made the SNAG group a high protein pasta dish and as a Christmas treat, chocolate cake. They completed their evaluations while this was being done for them. They all loved the cooking workshop, which is lovely to see. Bellow is some of the pupil feedback given in their evaluation.

Dominic Wilson – My favourite thing that we made in the SNAG club was stirfry. It had a lot of vitamins in it and was very nutritious. The thing I liked most about the SNAG club is that it isn’t formal and everyone gets to cook and eat together. If we did this club again I would want to make vegetable burgers.

Jonathan Manini – I liked everything we cooked in SNAG , My favourite thing we cooked was pizza. I enjoyed being able to sit down with friends. I liked how all the foods we cooked were nutritious. If I was to do this club again I would love to cook steak.

Claire Lindsay – I learnt how to make healthy food at the SNAG club. I have been practicing these healthy dishes at home, like pizza, wraps and toasties. In future I would like to make a vegetable salad packed with vitamins.

Maya Muotune – The SNAG club was very enjoyable and encouraged me to eat healthy foods. All the things we made were nutritious and also tasty. I also enjoyed the social aspect and having a sense of responsibility through using all the equipment. My favourite dishes were stirfry and pizza. I enjoyed it very much and would definitely come back again.

Annie Lonergan – I enjoyed having the SNAG club at lunch, because it was a fun way to make a healthy lunch. I loved working with my friends and then sitting down with them and eating and talking together. I also liked seeing who made the best dish. I learned to cook simple but delicious food which I went home to show my family, and they loved it as well. I rate SNAG club 100/100.

English – ‘See Me’ Project

S3 are involved in the ‘See Me’ project which is designed to raise awareness the importance of having good mental health. The project is a Library/English project and pupils from Williamwood and St Ninian’s are participating. The aim is to encourage pupils to read and discuss the issues that they read about and respond to them creatively.

Health and Wellbeing Committee Meeting

There will be a Health and Wellbeing Committee meeting on Monday P5 in the canteen. Pupils should register with P5 teacher first before heading down.

Below is the list of pupils involved:

Lucia Feletti O’Donnell, Charlie Gallagher, Ben Meehan, Kian O’Neil, Sean Simpson, Sophie Macpherson, Katie Neil, Olivia Cunningham, Kathleen Collins, Michaela Stillie, Maria Kent, Cameron Smith, Roxanne Rudden, Ava Maguire, Michael Ward, Luca Valentini, Jennifer Preston, Sam Reid, Sophie Rook, Joseph Lowrie, Ruaridh Munro, Anna Gallagher, Emily Dunn, Sarah Walsh, Rosin Kelly, Connor Duffy, Eva McShane, Katie Baxter, Humza Babar, Warren Grant, Matthew Devlin, Morgan Chadha, Siobhan Rety, Amy Donaghy

Home Economics – Food and Health

The Home Economics department makes a significant contribution towards our pupils Health and Wellbeing though curricular and extra-curricular experiences.

The main focus in Home Economics courses is to equip pupils with the practical skills in food preparation and cooking to enable them to prepare fresh healthy foods. In S1 topics covered include Health and Safety in the kitchen, Healthy Lifestyles and Food Choice. Pupils learn how to use the Eat well guide to make healthy food choices and adapt recipes in line with current dietary advice. In Hospitality courses from S2 to S6, students continue to improve and develop practical skills in food preparation and increase knowledge and understanding of nutrition, dietary related diseases, food safety and sustainability.

Visiting Speakers

The H.E department invite guest speakers each year from the Hospitality industry. This year, award winning chef, Chris Rouse, of the Black Dove restaurant visited the H.E. department to demonstrate a variety of healthy, quick to prepare dishes to S2 and S3 Hospitality pupils. During the demonstration they learned about the importance of seasonality and sustainability when creating a menu and about careers within the hospitality industry.

home-ec

S6 Healthy Eating on a Budget

S6 Healthy Eating on a Budget is delivered through a PSHE and Home Economics partnership. This course aims to give pupils who may move away from home for further study or work the knowledge and skills to

prepare healthy meals for a minimal cost.

Each PSHE class is given a demonstration by a Home Economics teacher on how to prepare a variety of healthy dishes from simple fresh ingredients. Each pupil is given a recipe book and a breakdown of costs for all of the dishes prepared.

School Nutrition Action Group (SNAG)

The St. Ninian’s High School’s School Nutrition Action Group (SNAG) is a group made up of S1-S3 pupils who are keen to promote healthy eating and nutrition. They have three meetings a year with the canteen manager to discuss and help implement ways to promote healthy food choices in the school canteen.

S2 SNAG group pupils develop their food preparation and cooking skills through cookery workshops. Pupils learn how to make and adapt recipes in line with current dietary advice to produce healthy dishes, using basic store cupboard ingredients. Pupils have the opportunity to invite staff and friends to the workshops to pass on their skills and knowledge.

SNAG pupils also give presentations at school assemblies to raise awareness of current dietary advice.

home-ec-3   home-ec-2

Schools to Market Project

S2 hospitality pupils will be taking part in Wholefoods’ School to Market project this year.

As part of the project pupils will visit a farm to pick fresh produce to make chutney, which they will market and sell at the Wholefoods market day in September.

Pupils learn about the journey of food from farm to fork and increase their knowledge and understanding of food seasonality, sustainability, food storage, preservation, costing and marketing through hands on experience of making and selling chutney.

Active Girls Day

Active Girls Day took place on Friday 28 October and the PE department was full of “Active Girls” all day. Each period was dedicated to a year group. All the girls in each year group were invited down to take part in a circuit programme that involved a lot of fun, interaction and of course exercise. The aim is to encourage more young girls to be more active as part of their daily lifestyle. Every young girl was fully engaged throughout the day.

A special thank you to the Higher Dance girls for providing the warm up and supporting the girls throughout he day and of course to the female staff in the PE department for their support and organisation of this great event!

img_4240 img_4242 img_4246 img_4248 img_4251 img_4252 img_4279 img_4281 img_4282 img_4311 img_4342 img_4351 img_4363 img_4373img_4306img_4260