Privacy Notice

Privacy notice – Education

Who will process your information?

The personal information you give to us through any of our forms relating to Education and any other pupil administrative information we hold about you in this context will be processed by East Renfrewshire Council, Eastwood Park Giffnock, G46 6UG for the administration of Education and any additional support you or your child may require.

Why do we process your information?

Your information is processed to help us administer education provision and related functions within East Renfrewshire. Your information may be shared with other departments within the council and other organisations for the same purposes and also to check the information we have is accurate; prevent and/or detect crime; and protect public funds.  Other organisations may include bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds, other councils, public sector agencies, government departments, exam bodies and other private companies or partners we use to process information and distribution services for the issue of correspondence.

 What is the legal basis for us to process your information?

The council processes your information in order to perform a task carried out in the public interest and also to fulfil its legal obligations to ensure proper administration of the council’s financial affairs in terms of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973.

The law gives certain types of information special significance because of its sensitivity eg health information. If we process this type of information about you in relation to Education we do so on the basis that it is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest.

Do you have to provide your information?

Education needs your information to allow us to carry out public tasks in the public interest that is set out in law such as teaching in primary and secondary schools.  It allows us to organise and administer classes, lunches, exams etc.

 How do we collect information about you?

Most of the information the council holds about you will come from you as an individual and it provided at your first encounter with education whether it is applying for a place in an early learning and childcare establishment, support in the early years or applying for a place in one of our schools.

Such information includes:-

Child’s Forename

Child’s Surname

Child’s gender

School Stage

Details of child’s medical condition

Any other name child is known by

Child’s date of birth

Address including postcode

Mother’s/Carer’s Name

Father’s/Carer’s Name

Mother’s/Carer’s address including postcode

Father’s/Carer’s address including postcode

Mother’s/Carer’s telephone number

Father’s/Carer’s telephone number

Mother’s/Carer’s email address

Father’s/Carer’s email address

Single Parent/Carer family

Name of Brother/Sister

Date of Birth of Brother/Sister

School stage of Brother/Sister

Additional Information Support Application

School applying for

Preferred Alternative School

Early Learning and Childcare place applied for

Council Tax Evidence

Mortgage Statement

Rental Agreement

Rental Agreement End Date

Landlord Registration Number

Birth Certificate

Baptism Certificate

Date of Baptism

Name of Church venue

Child Benefit Statement

Utility Statements

Other Catchment Evidence

How long will we keep your information?

The council will hold your information from when your child first has contact with one of our services through to five year beyond them leaving school.

Who is your information shared with?

Your information will be accessed by council staff who need to do so to administer education and the many services that run alongside it. If such administration is provided on the council’s behalf by an external agency, that agency will also have access to your information.  The information will be shared with SEEMiS, CRB, ParentPay, the Diocese of Paisley (in Roman Catholic schools), Scottish Government including their Analytical Services, Education Scotland, Glow (Scotland’s national education network), SQA, 2Cqr, BAM FM (Carlibar Primary, Barrhead Mearns Castle, Williamwood, Woodfarm High Schools), Bellrock FM (Mearns Primary and St Ninian’s High), Skills Development Scotland, Scholar (Heriot Watt University) and East Renfrewshire Culture and Leisure Trust.

The council also needs to ensure proper administration of its funds so details will be checked internally for fraud prevention and verification purposes. Information is also analysed internally in order to provide management information and inform future service delivery.  Your information may also be shared with other departments within the Council.  The council also generally complies with requests for specific information from other regulatory and law enforcement bodies where this is necessary and appropriate.

 Do we transfer your information outside the UK?

In general we do not transfer personal information outside the UK but on the rare occasions we do we will inform you.  We will only transfer information outside the UK when we are satisfied that the party that will handle the data and the country it is being processed in have adequate safeguards for personal privacy comparable to those which are in place in the UK.

 Profiling and automated decision-making

The Education Department does not use profiling or automated decision-making for administration.

Your rights

 You have the right to be informed of the council’s use of your information.  This notice is intended to give you relevant information to meet this right.

Access personal data held about you

You have the right to access personal information the council holds about you by making what is known as a subject access request. You can receive a copy of your personal data held by the council, details on why it is being held, who it has been or will be shared with, how long it will be held for , the source of the information and if the council uses computer systems to profile or take decisions about you.


  1. Request rectification of your personal data

You have the right to request that the council corrects any personal data held about you that is inaccurate.

  1. Request that the council restricts processing of your personal data

You have the right to request that the council restricts processing your personal data if you think the personal data is inaccurate, the processing is unlawful, the council no longer need the personal data but you may need it for a legal purpose or you object to the council processing for the performance of a public interest task.

  1. To object to the processing of your data

You have the right to object to the council’s use of your personal data. The council will have to demonstrate why it is appropriate to continue to use your data.


If you have an issue with the way the council handles your information or wish to exercise any of the above rights in respect of your information you can contact the council’s data protection officer by post at:

The Data Protection Officer

East Renfrewshire Council

Council headquarters

Eastwood Park


G46 6UG

or by email at

You have the right to complain directly to the Information Commissioner’s office (ICO).

The address of their head office is:

Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5EF

Telephone: 0303 123 1113

Alternatively, you can report a concern via their website at

The ICO also have a regional office at:

45 Melville Street, Edinburgh EH3 7HI

Telephone: 0303 123 1115     e-mail:

While you can go directly to the ICO, the council would welcome an opportunity to address any issues you have in the first instance.

Report a Glow concern
Cookie policy  Privacy policy

Glow Blogs uses cookies to enhance your experience on our service. By using this service or closing this message you consent to our use of those cookies. Please read our Cookie Policy.