Ae Fond Fareweel – Head Teacher signing out!

I have sent the following as an email to the Main Contact of each pupil but copied it here in case anyone has not received it. 

As you will be aware, today is my last schoolday in Barrhead High – I will still be in post as Head Teacher over the summer until 10th August, so I can still be contacted vis school mail if required! I would like to take this final opportunity to say a huge thanks to the many people who have made the last 10 years of my teaching experience so special – the pupils, staff and parents of our outstanding community. 

I have already received numerous comments and good wishes from many folk, and it has been good to hear the positive comments about how the school has improved over the years. I am pleased and proud to have played a part in that, but at the end of the day, it has only happened through the way that we have all worked together. I am not going to single out individuals but there are some in each of the pupils, staff and parents categories who have gone way beyond the expectations in their contributions and have been key to the changes that we have enjoyed – you know who you are and I thank you for it – and to every one of you who has played a part over the years.

I came to Barrhead 10 years ago, not knowing very much about the town or school – my childhood memories were driving down the Dams Rd on my way to my Gran’s and loving that view.  Over the past 10 years I have made a point of coming that way every day  (roadworks and weather permitting) and I can honestly say as I look down on the town every morning it has lifted my spirits and I have come to work every day looking forward to the day ahead (apart from a few wobbles in Year 2!!). I don’t think you can ask for anything more from a job than loving to come into work!

… My writing was interrupted there by a number of staff, pupils and some Parent Council reps who came in to the school to wish me well and say a final farewell. The new Head Boy, Kyle, piped me along to the dining area where a whole group of staff and a few parents were waiting. I appreciate the number of people who braved the physical distancing guidelines to be present – I guess it was a dress rehearsal for the full return in August.  There cannot be many folk who have had so many great send-offs when they retire!! Once more it was a special and emotional time for me but once again a real testament to the quality of the Barrhead High  community. The leaving S6 turned out in force to see me out and that was especially nice since they are the ones who have lost out so much due to COVID.

I want to wish you all the best for the years ahead. I have no doubts that the school will continue to thrive moving forward from here and I wish Mrs Johnston all the best as she takes on the Head Teacher role from August – I am sure she will enjoy Barrhead High as much as I have.

My thanks to you all

Mr S

School Trips Update 26.6.2020

One final bit of positive news. I have just heard this morning that we have been given the go ahead to refund in full the remaining school trips – Watersports, Lochgoilhead, Barcelona and New York. The office will aim to process these next week, but please be patient with them. It is a time-consuming job – every individual payment instalment requires to be refunded separately – not just one lump sum to each parent. The money will be refunded to your Parentpay account and you can then have it transferred back to your bank / credit card. Glad to hear that has finally been settled.

Mr S

Letter from the Director of Education / Planning for August

I am sure you will all be aware by now of the change in planning around the school opening situation in August. This took us a bit by surprise as we had been putting long hours into ensuring that we had an alternative ‘recovery’ timetable ready for issue this week. I had just sent out the fairly substantial Update on Tuesday morning, giving a lot of the detail about what we were expecting to have in place for August when the news came out.  I indicated on Twitter that as a result of this we were no longer issuing the ‘recovery’ timetables at this time – but we do still have them in the background just in case!

I have attached a letter from the Director to all parents which talks a bit more about some of these issues.

Mr S

MS Letter to parents 26.6.20.doc

Career Pathways S4-S6

Today, marks the launch of E-DYW Digital Hub
This is an incredible resource that has been created to help young people find virtual work insight, work experience and volunteering opportunities in the post-Covid world.
This is particularly relevant for pupils who hope to leave school in the next year.
There is also a huge amount of information about every different career sector for all senior phase pupil.

Planning Update

Following the Deputy First Minister’s announcement in Parliament this afternoon, East Renfrewshire Council have issued the following statement:

We welcome the Scottish Government’s announcement to aim for all pupils to return to school after the summer break.  We look forward to welcoming back all children and young people on 12 August and will now to prepare and plan for this. Of course, we will inform parents if there are any further changes.

All the work carried out to prepare for blended learning and social distancing will be valuable as contingency plans if we are required to move to this model at a later date.

In my earlier update, I referred to our plans to issue the recovery timetables to all pupils this week. These will now be put on hold at this point,  and they will remain part of our contingency plans, and can be issued at a later date if required.

Mr Sinclair

Parental Update 23.6.2020

I have issued a further update for parents/carers with the latest information affecting both the current situation and looking forward to August to the email address of all Main Contacts.

I have also included a set of frequently asked questions which may give further advice on some particular queries.

We are aiming to send out pupil timetables over the course of the next few days by email to our current pupils’ GLOW email address and to the parental email of the P7 pupils coming as S1 in August. We will post a notification on Twitter when the timetables are issued.

Note that while we expect these timetables to be what pupils will follow in August, it is possible that due to other developments, things could change.

Mr Sinclair

Parental Update 23.6.2020

BHS FAQ 23.6.2020