Happy New Year!!

Hello everyone and Happy New Year to you and your families!

It is so nice to see everyone back at school safely. We have had great fun sharing stories of our holidays with each other.  We have welcomed a new member to our class and we are having great fun getting to know them.

On behalf of Mrs Smith, Mrs O’Callaghan and myself I would like to thank everyone who gave us Christmas cards and gifts. We were very touched by the thought behind these, they really are appreciated.

It is very much back to normal for our class this week and with that brings our homework.

Reading homework for this week is as follows:

Book Bandits – Jay and Sniffer: The cake sale goo

Page Pirates – Shaun the Sheep: What a mess

Word Wizards – Rat and Cat: The dance

Sound Stars – Dig and Tip

Phonics – this week we are learning the sound au. I have attached the spelling activity grid as a word document and some words the children can use as both a picture and a word document. Please ask your child to complete at least 3 activities from the grid. This same grid will be used for the next three weeks.

au words

january spelling grid

Numeracy – this week we are revising the concept of partitioning numbers. This allows us to have a good knowledge of the value of numbers and the importance of the place value of each digit. The following game will support this concept. There are 5 levels of this game. I would hope that all children can try the first two levels with those requiring more of a challenge working their way through the other levels too.

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/learning-to-count/place-value-basketball

Our class topic for the month of January will be Scotland. We have already learned about cities in Scotland and will be continuing to learn about Scots language, Scottish agriculture and Scottish foods. It may be helpful if you could talk to your child about places in Scotland that they have visited as I hope we can discuss these in class to find places lots of us have been and some that only some of us have been to or none at all.

As always if anyone has any questions, concerns or comments please contact me either at the door at hometime or via the school office.

Mrs MacNee