THANK YOU!

I just want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the kind gifts that Mrs O’Callaghan, Mrs Smith and myself have received this week. Your kindness and thoughtfulness is really appreciated by each of us.

As you know, today I leave Gargieston. I don’t know what lies ahead for me at the moment but I will carry the memories of my year with our class with me forever. Thank you all for the support you have shown me throughout this year and for motivating your children to be such amazing learners at school. I will miss them all.

Until we meet again

Mrs MacNee

Body Parts

I just wanted to make you aware that tomorrow our class will be going over the correct anatomical names for body parts as well as going over the NSPCC pant’s rule that they covered in primary one. If there are any issues with this please let me know.

Mrs MacNee

Reading and other things

I will be allocating all children some books on bug club shortly that they can read at their leisure over the coming weeks. Please encourage them to continue to engage with some form of reading over the summer as it will really help them when they return to school in August.

We are finishing off things this week and I will begin to send some work home in the coming days. Could I ask you to put a carrier bag in your child’s bag for when this happens, I have some spares in the classroom so don’t worry if it’s not possible.

Our class will continue to collect crisp packets until the end of next week. We are trying to gather as many as we can to hand over to be made into foil blankets for the homeless. What a great excuse to eat some crisps!

I have told the class that I will be leaving the school next week. I have had a wonderful experience at Gargieston and I will treasure the time I have had with my class.

If anyone is likely to be removing their child before the end of term could you please let me know? I would like to try and avoid having anyone leaving empty handed.

Thanks

Mrs MacNee

Our trip

What a fantastic day the children had today at the Dean Park. We visited animals, explored a willow maze, played at the park and had got creative in the woods. The children were all brilliant and displayed the Gargieston values throughout the day.

Homework wb 6/6

It’s hard to believe that June is here already! We are hoping the dry weather continues so that we can make use of our outside space for some of our learning in the last few weeks.

Homework for this week is –

Reading

Book Bandits – Creepy Crawlies

Page Pirates – Plant Traps

Word Wizards – Zip and Zap meet the Sam

Sound Stars – Timmy Wants to Win

Phonics

Our class are learning the kn and mb sounds this week and exploring the concept of silent letters. I have attached a word list for them to work from but please encourage your child to come up with words of their own if they can.

Our sound stars are working on the ‘ee’ phoneme this week and I have attached some words for them along with the new common words they will be working on.

On Friday our class is being treated to an exciting day of activities arranged by Primary 7 called Gargie Go Green day. This is only being arranged for primary 2 and 3 so we are very lucky to be included. The children are allowed to wear green to school that day. They have been asked to bring in clean recycling from home. They have also been asked to design a Gargie Go Green mascot. Everyone came home with a blank piece of paper today to design their mascot and we had a short chat about what a mascot is but some help with that may still be needed. Could I ask that the children return these sheets by Friday morning – earlier if they are ready.

Mrs MacNee

Under the Sea

Next week we will begin our final topic of Primary 2 – Under the Sea. If anyone is visiting a beach over the weekend, could they maybe pick up some things that might help with our topic such as shells or interesting pieces of rubbish that have been washed up. Please, don’t make any special trips to do this! I have mentioned it to the class today so I apologise in advance for anyone who is told they MUST visit the beach this weekend.

As part of our topic we will be collecting empty crisp packets. These will be taken to a nearby church where some of the ladies are going to make foil blankets for the homeless with them. The class will be encouraging the rest of the school to get behind this project in the closing weeks of term.

Mrs MacNee

Homework WB 30/05

Our homework for this week will be as follows.

Reading – everyone is keeping the same reading book as last week. If you child read this already, encourage them to do so again.

Literacy – just a reminder that all children have access to a number of numeracy games through their Bug Club login.

This week we are learning two sounds ll and ff. The class did so well with ss last week that I am sure this will be no problem for them. I have attached words for them to practise.

Sound stars are working on the sound ph. I have attached words for them along with some of their common words.

We are working on symmetry in class this week, I have attached a link for a game to support this learning. https://www.topmarks.co.uk/symmetry/symmetry-matching

Also, a reminder that tomorrow in school we will celebrate the Queen’s Jubilee with a garden party (weather permitting) and activities in class. Please send your child with an extra snack to enjoy at the garden party. Also children can either dress up for the garden party or can dress down in red white and blue tomorrow and our lunch hall be serving royal themed dishes at lunchtime.

Mrs MacNee

Homework and other important things to remember wb 23/05

Good afternoon everyone. Homework for this week will be as follows:

In literacy this week we will be learning the sound ss. We have found this sound very easy this morning and so I anticipate us moving on to ll and ff before the end of the week.  I have attached words for the children to practise but as usual they should feel free to come up with other words to provide some challenge.

Our sound stars will progress to the sound wh this week. I have attached some words for them to practise at home.

Reading homework for this week is as follows:

Book Bandits – Birthdays around the world

Page Pirates – Jay and Sniffer: The cake sale goo

Word Wizards – Rainbows

Sound Stars – The Fox Twins

Can I please ask that you ensure your child engages with the book set for this week on bug club. While I am very happy for them to engage with as much reading as possible, it is helpful in class if they have read this weeks book at home.

Numeracy homework will be distributed tomorrow following further inputs.

Additionally, our Digital Leaders in school are running a competition to design a poster of a top tip to keep everyone safe on the internet. Each child has been given a sheet should they wish to enter the competition. The competition is optional but I should mention, there is a prize for each class.

This week we are all very excited for our sports day which should be taking place tomorrow. We have checked the weather today and all is looking good for us to go ahead. Just a reminder that children can come to school in their sports clothing tomorrow with a t-shirt of their house colour on (if possible).

As  you may know, our class trip has been confirmed for 16th June to the Dean Park. Every member of the class has been given a small slip to complete regarding for that day. Could I ask that everyone returns this slip asap so that I can let the kitchen know.

Have a great week and we look forward to seeing as many of you as possible at sports day tomorrow.

Mrs MacNee

Homework wb 16/05

Good afternoon all. I am looking forward to speaking with many of you on the phone this week.

In literacy this week we will be learning the sound e_e. We will continue to consolidate the previous 4 sounds to allow for this concept to embed as fully as possible. I have attached words for the children to practise but as usual they should feel free to come up with other words to provide some challenge.

Our sound stars will progress to the sound ng this week. I have attached some words for them to practise at home.

Book Bandits – Wallace and Gromit Soccamatic

Page Pirates – Mermaids visit the vet

Word Wizards – This is my pet

Sound Stars – Sarah’s tap shoes (same as last week)

Numeracy homework for this week is an East Ayrshire SumDog competition. Remember with SumDog, the children need to make mistakes in order for the programme to identify where to pitch the questions. Our class have learned that making mistakes helps our learning. We will be checking the leaderboard in school – it would be lovely to see our class up there.

Mrs MacNee

Just another blogs.glowscotland.org.uk – East Ayrshire site