The Kite Runner – useful quotes

1. There is a way to be good again
2. For you a thousand times over
3. I would eat dirt for you
4. It was the look of the lamb
5. Coward! Coward!
6. Rubble and beggars
7. You will not refer to him as ‘that Hazara boy’ in front of me again. He has a name and it is Sohrab
8. There is only one sin. And that is theft… when you tell a lie, you steal someone’s right to the truth.
9. It was only a smile, nothing more… but I’ll take it.
10. We won! We won!
11. Amir and Hassan – Sultans of Kabul
12. my body was broken–just how badly I wouldn’t find out until later–but I felt healed. Healed at last. I laughed.
13. I envied her. Her secret was out. Spoken. Dealt with.
14. Now, no matter what the mullah teaches, there is only one sin, only one. And that is theft. Every other sin is a variation of theft.”
15. Children aren’t colouring books. You don’t get to fill them with your favourite colours.”
16. Hassan’s reply was a single word, delivered in a thin, raspy voice: Yes
17. Tell him I’ll take a thousand of his bullets before I let his indecency take place.”
18. “No,” I said. “I think he was ashamed of himself.”
19. “Father used to say it’s wrong to hurt even bad people. Because they don’t know any better, and because bad people sometimes become good.”
20. “There is a Talib official,” he muttered. “He visits once every month or two. He brings cash with him, not a lot, but better than nothing at all.”
21. “Life here is impossible for us now, Agha sahib. We’re leaving.”
22. “You bring me shame. And Hassan….Hassan’s not going anywhere, do you understand?”
23. “I hear he is a great kite runner.”….”Although I’ve always wondered how he manages. I mean, with those tight little eyes, how does he see anything?”
24. “Afghan is for Pashtuns, I say. That’s my vision.”
25. “A boy who can’t stand up for himself becomes a man who can’t stand up to anything.”