Halloween: Art

Halloween is easily one of my favourite festivals. I love getting dressed up and pretending to be something fantastical for a few hours, watching the jack-o-lanterns beginning to glow eerily in the darkening light and going out guising. Celebrating Halloween is an old tradition that has its roots in both ancient pagan festivivties and elements of Christianity. Originally it was a celebration to remember our dead and the name is derived from “All Hallows Eve”. Over the years though it has become commercialised and the emphasis in more on general supernatural elements than simply remembering our ancestors. 

Many an artist has drawn on the supernatural for inspiration whether they are artists, writers, directors or musicians and so this week I thought I’d show you some examples of this, starting with Art. So here is a quick sample of some of the quirkier artists.  

1) Bernt Notke 

Bernt Notke was a painter and sculptor in the 15th century. Around this time images of the Danse Macabre (Dance of Death) were becoming increasingly popular and in his lifetime he was commisioned to paint several of these gruesome scenes. 

(taken from wikipedia.org)

2) Salvador Dali 

Known as a surrealist, Dali’s work have a dreamlike feel and anything is possible in them. 

(taken from wikipaintings.org)

3) Edward Gorey 

On closer inspection, Edward Gorey’s pen-and-ink illustrations of Victorian and Edwardian scenes betray a darker narrative.  

(taken from noellestevenson.blogspot.com)

4) Hieronymus Bosch 

Hieronymus Bosch was a Dutch painter in the 15th century whose imagination came up with fantastical images. 

(taken from foglobe.com)

5) Henry Fusili 

The Nightmare by Henry Fuseli suggests that the girl in the picture is being haunted by various supernatural beasties. I certainly don’t think I would like to wake up to that little demon on my bed.

(taken from deadsecond.com)

6) Mark Ryden

Dubbed the ‘Godfather of Pop-Surrealism’,, Ryden’s haunting images place doll-like girls in creepy scenarios.

(taken from markryden.com)